Game prototype built, legal and direction questions

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 9 years, 10 months ago

I completed a physical prototype of my game that works really well (its a card game), i have everything i need to hand the game to a programmer to create a digital prototype, i'm just kind of lost on the legalities of the process. What can i do to protect the game from being stolen? Should i look for local programmers that can sign a contract? I would think i could find more quality programmers, who are willing to help, online, but what are the implications of doing so? Should i copyright (or is it patent) my idea before doing anything? I'm just stuck at this point in the process, and i've convinced myself that the only smart way to move forward is to learn to code (which i am) and build it myself, but i'm beginning to think there's resources i'm missing. Any advise will help, thank you.

Advertisement

Moving this to the Business and Law forum. wanderer, you should read the Business/Law forum FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. What can i do to protect the game from being stolen?
2. Should i look for local programmers that can sign a contract?
3. I would think i could find more quality programmers, who are willing to help, online, but what are the implications of doing so?
4. Should i copyright (or is it patent) my idea before doing anything?

1. You can and should copyright your design, but you really don't have to worry about the idea being stolen. It costs too much money to take somebody else's idea and then develop and market it - and then there'll be the legal risk of stealing someone's idea.
2. Yes, if you have money and a business plan, and if you want your game programmed locally.
3. Very broad question. Are you asking about the risk of remote vs. local development? Go remote if nobody local can do it for your desired budget.
4. Sure.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement