Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xorcist

How is roto-scoping actually done?

Xorcist    122
Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I would like to attempt a Prince of Persia style game and have no idea how roto-scoping works or is implemented. Is there a better way than roto-scoping to achieve fluid motion?

DefCom    270
Rotoscoping is where you capture video and then draw the outlines of your subject and colouring it in (cheap, slow but effective)
Motion Capture is the new alternative (new is a relative term) Uses expensive equipment capturing the 3d info of given points using multiple cameras and then mapping them onto 3d models.

Xorcist    122
Okay, well I don''t have access to any kind of motion capture technology, nor the utilities to process the data sooo... what''s my next best option. I have no experience with 3D, but 2D seemed to work for POP and all of it''s clones (Zorro, Flahback, Blackthorne, etc.). I guess I could just use a lot of animation frames and extra sprite physics to add the detailed effects I desire, but that''s gonna be a lot of work, for a homebrew demo game that is.

P.S. I wasn''t aware that the original Prince of Persia used motion capture tech to perform roto-scoping. You learn something new everyday.

P.P.S Does it make sense to use 3D, but only to generate a 2D environment?

Oluseyi    2112
quote:
Original post by Xorcist
P.S. I wasn''t aware that the original Prince of Persia used motion capture tech to perform roto-scoping. You learn something new everyday.

It didn''t. Motion capture has nothing to do with rotoscoping. In rotoscoping you get digital images of a real person of model performing the actions. You draw over it so that it meshes with your game world''s graphical style. Motion capture obtains a series of coordinates for each of the selected joints of a model (which may be edited for consistency) and mathematically applies that to 3d models to achieve animation.

I wanna work for Microsoft!

DefCom    270
yaeh, thats what i meant.
Something that might take the work load off is it to use some of those fancy filters in paint shop pro or photoshop, it might get you your desired look.

DefCom    270
Sorry for the confusion above. I did not mean POP used motion capture, what i meant was that very few animators use rotoscoping now a days. POP-3D didnt use it either, just good animators with good observation skills.