Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xsist10

Graphics File

Witchcraven    564
why dont you download a compression library, and compress the files in an archive. You game could then read the archive and decompress the files to ram. Sorry, I dont know any names, but I know they exist. Just cant remember what their names are.

Witchcraven    564
why dont you blit all of you images to a surface thats in normal ram, and save that to a file. And then save an index file, with each image coordinates in the big file. Or you could save the index somewhere in the surface as pixel data, with the first pixel being how many coordinats in the surface

MrX02    122
Check your local library for Isometric Game Programming With DirectX 7.0 by Ernest Pazera. This book has source code for a really, really good way to store graphic files. The size of your tiles is coded into the image itself, as is its anchor point, and the number of tiles.
If you can''t find the book, try www.IsoHex.Net, or email me at mrx02@yahoo.com. I can email you the code. It is all in this class called CTileSet, which is really cool and easy to use.

Simagery    732
I would recommend looking into zlib. This is a library for handling ZIP files. Basically the same as what is used in Quake and many other games that use one single package for distribution. It''s fairly easy to use and it''s what I''m using for my game engine. And, as an added bonus, you don''t have to write your own tools: just use WinZip! (or under WindowsXP use Explorer''s built-in ZIP handling).