How much do programmers earn?

Started by
8 comments, last by d000hg 9 years, 10 months ago

How much would the average salary be, for say, a programmer who has 16 years of experience but who also have no experience with making games?

Thank you for answers, they are appreciated.

Advertisement

Anywhere from $40k if they've taken a junior role at a small games studio as a sacrifice to get into an industry they love, because all the employers they want to work for either have no jobs, or don't trust a non-games programmer without a probation period in a junior role ..... to $250k+ if they've risen through the ranks of a large corporation and are in a key technical executive role...

You wanna supply some more information? tongue.png

What relevant experience do you have to games? What kinds of applications have you spent the last 16 years building?

Do you know graphics? Do you know concurrency? AI?

Maybe your skills would get your foot in the door as a back-end or tools developer -- perhaps you have a lot of experiences with databases, for example.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I don't understand the question.

Do you mean "how much does the averahe programmer earn?" or "how much does a programmer from outside the games industry earn if he then moves into games?"

What is the 16 years worth of experience in?

How much would the average salary be, for say, a programmer who has 16 years of experience but who also have no experience with making games?

Are you asking because you are wondering what to offer an applicant? If so, why would you want to hire someone with no game experience?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Annual Salary Survey, 2012 edition.

Other years exist for free.

More detailed information, including raw survey numbers, are available for a big cost through their site.

One note on salary surveys...

They almost always skew high for a couple reasons

1) self reporting, people sometimes inflate their salaries

2) the people who know about and take the survey tend to be a bit savvier and more experienced (thereby skewing the survey pool towards more experienced people)

3) high-end outliers can skew averages.

I.e if 9 people answer "50k" and one answers "250k", then the Average is $80,000, even though "50k" would be a better number.

(for that reason, the 'median' salary is a more meaningful number than 'average')

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Are you asking because you are wondering what to offer an applicant?

The reason I asked this, red codec, is that you posted this question in the Business forum (not the Game Industry Job Advice forum) - which made me think you were likely asking from the employer side.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

It's also difficult to say because, while I know my own salary, I am completely clueless about what anyone else in my company is making. In the USA talking about salary with your peers is taboo, and many job advertisements don't specify the salary range (because it's in the best interests of the employer for the applicant to start the salary negotiation).

Are you asking because you are wondering what to offer an applicant? If so, why would you want to hire someone with no game experience?

A good developer is a good developer. There are certain aspects about gaming that are different but it's not that different. OK someone who spent 16 years writing form-based applications where performance is of no importance is unlikely to be suitable, but that's only one strand of applications development.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement