Why can't I access any input devices?!

Started by
22 comments, last by Bacterius 9 years, 10 months ago
This is something I realy dont believe, which may depend on your somehow irritating posts. As stated already. You never link DLLs to your application. For technical reasons it cannot be done. You always link the import library.

You don't believe that I rarely use DLLs? Why not? There are plenty of things one can do without DLLs. I didn't say I was linking directly to DLLs, I just said using DLLs. That's what this whole discussion is about.

And if none in your big company has ever used DLLs it makes me really really wonder.

Who said it was a big company? There are only 3 programmers, myself included.

As this is game development, you have probably already seen how the graphics libraries for DirectX and OpenGL require your data to be properly marshalled to the correct data formats and structures. That is all that is needed for data marshaling.

You mean just standard old OOP? Or putting them into structures so they're by value instead of by reference? Yeah I remember doing that in C++, and C# may do it behind the scenes, but SharpDX, for example, just uses plain objects.

With your "22 years of programming experience" it is suspicious that you don't know what it is.

Suspicious? Really? Yeah, you caught me. I've been pretending not to understand this stuff as a way to con everyone into wasting time (including my own) answering questions to which I already know the answers. (Warning: sarcasm detected in the immediate vicinity). :-/ Anyway, I've heard of marshaling, but it's been a while and I just forgot what the term meant, because I never really had experience with it anyway, and it's not something I hear about every day.

That is very career limiting. No wonder you feel people treat you like a beginner, those are the bare minimum skills all programmers must have. Somebody says "Here is the algorithm written in English, translate it from my implementation to some other language." Those are code grunts, also called "coding to spec". You can make a living from it but it doesn't offer much as a long-term career.

Firstly: Perhaps I spoke ambiguously. I didn't mean that I take prewritten pseudo-code with mathematical algorithms and translate it into code. I meant that I can invent new algorithms for complex applications of computer science, and what's more, create enormous and intricate applications of all varieties.

Secondly: Do you make a habit of insulting people's careers?

Thirdly: That's not exactly what I do professionally anyway. I do those things as a hobby. Professionally, I usually make websites and databases with things like ASP.NET and SQL Server, which I don't think is career limiting - it's what most programmers do (it's very marketable - almost all companies have a website, and need to store their data in a database).

Not sure how you could implement [insert any item on your I-can-write] list without having to add a list of exported symbols to a project, so you can use a dll.

And data marshalling and compression go hand in hand?

I didn't say marshaling and compression went hand in hand. But most of that stuff doesn't require any DLLs at all. Compression, for example, tends to involve reading a file, screwing around with the bits in memory, then writing a new file. Same thing with cryptography, for that matter. When do the DLLs get used?

Anyway, thanks for the links though. You want the libraries?

https://backup.filesanywhere.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8c6f6a8b596370779d9f

The Hydra one you have to get from Steam.

The Oculus Rift one you need from their website (you must log in to download it).

But they're all free.

Advertisement

biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png I got it to work! laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png The Falcon one anyway. So many paths and files and things were mis-referenced, more stuff had to be imported, paths had to be changed, bugs had to be fixed, etc. And it's still a little glitchy, but I think that's only because I need to have a closer look at how I'm using the API. But regardless, it compiles and runs! I'll try the Hydra API next, and probably try a lot of the same stuff I did with the Falcon one to get it to work, but first I want to mess with the Falcon a bit more. Yay! happy.png wink.png

Awesome sir. I was hoping you'd work it out. :)

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

This thread was quite a read. Well done.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement