Is your IDE hot or not?

Started by
24 comments, last by Liza Shulyayeva 9 years, 10 months ago
I’m a typeface geek, and when it comes to selecting a font I’ll stare at all day, I tend to be pretty picky. Recently, when I discovered that a friend was using a sub par typeface (too horrible to name here) for his Terminal and coding windows, my jaw dropped, my heart sank a little, and I died a bit inside.

Color schemes are another thing users should be weary of. It's debatable that dark fonts on light backgrounds provide a better reading experience, but I'm a fan of the darker themes so my eyes don't start bleeding after staring at the monitor for several continuous hours.

So what setup are you currently rockin'? Post 'em now!

hot_IDE.png

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass http://www.newvoxel.com

Advertisement

I'm rather the opposite. As long as the font is clean and easy to tell a t from an i and j, then I don't really care which font it is. I very rarely bother to change much from an editor's default settings. I think the only real non-default setting I have for my Eclipse installs across all my systems is to change the comment colour, as my Python projects were defaulting to this light grey that was overly hard to read quickly on a white background.

As for eye strain, illumination contrast does far more for it than the actual brightness or lack thereof on the screen. If you room is well lit for your screen brightness, than you are generally good, assuming your setup is laid out well so that you're not getting glare. And having at least two focal distances to work with goes a very long way toward avoiding eye strain. If you stare at a screen that is a fixed distance from yourself day in and day out, then your eyes are going to feel worse. Far better to keep moving your focus five or ten feet several times an hour. (TV or or something on the other side of the room works well, just remember to glance up at it every few minutes. Even just putting your secondary monitors such that you are looking a foot or so farther away can count for a lot at the end of the day.)

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Random internet pic:

monokai_monodevelop.png

I'm using monokai for C++ + everything else on VS with semantic colorization disabled (actually enabled only for user types).

As for eye strain, illumination contrast does far more for it than the actual brightness or lack thereof on the screen. If you room is well lit for your screen brightness, than you are generally good, assuming your setup is laid out well so that you're not getting glare. And having at least two focal distances to work with goes a very long way toward avoiding eye strain. If you stare at a screen that is a fixed distance from yourself day in and day out, then your eyes are going to feel worse. Far better to keep moving your focus five or ten feet several times an hour. (TV or or something on the other side of the room works well, just remember to glance up at it every few minutes. Even just putting your secondary monitors such that you are looking a foot or so farther away can count for a lot at the end of the day.)

+1

For me, a simple layout that has all the buttons in easy to click locations. Color coding, debug, and a "run" feature are a must.

Command line editors I hate ( is this 1985 or 2014 ?! ).

Eclipse and QT, are what I use most of the time.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Qt Creator, and its all been about Consolas for years now for me. I don't think I could code in another font now.

VS 2013, dark theme. Desktop at 150% scale. I never touch the commandline. as @Shippou said: it's 2014. Not 1985.

If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Code::Blocks, dark theme, colours inspired by Vi, Consolas font for all source files.

I use the command line a lot for things like git, makefiles, file management, or simple test projects where I can't be damned to fire up an IDE and create a project.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

VS2013 for C#. Dark theme.

Intellij Idea for Java. Also dark theme.

Sublime Text for simple scripting. Monokai dark theme.

For font, I use Monaco in all three. I don't use Apple's products, but this font is the best Apple has given me. :)

VS2013 for C++.

Dark Theme with some mods.

Work with Visual Assist X ( Its a great help ), with some mods as well to the color scheme.

And for other files I use Notepad++, such as for HLSL shaders. smile.png

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

VS, Codeblock, Eclipse, Netbeans, but I never pimp my ride, cant stand colors. Got used to coding on my black and white monitor from way back.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement