Another 'building a PC' thread

Started by
23 comments, last by Ravyne 9 years, 10 months ago
My current PC was built in 2008, so I'm finally about to replace it.
Any hardware geeks here want to critique my shopping list so far?

Seeing my last PC lasted me 5+ years, with minor upgrades, this will probably be a long-term investment too. I've got fairly high-spec stuff on there at the moment, hoping to put off upgrading parts for a while. Also, this is a business expense / tax deduction, so I'm willing to spend a decent amount biggrin.png

Advertisement

Needs more cowbell.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

If you can wait a few weeks, Intel have just released the i7 4790k. It's basically a 4770k but with a 4GHz base frequency. It will be the same price as the 4770k, so if you're looking at a longer term machine, I'd wait.

Then in a year or two, you could add a liquid cooler and overclock it.

also GTX 780 and a 750GB ssd? That is awesome.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I think I pretty much had that same power supply in a computer running an overclocked GTX 570 once. It held up just fine. Although, Newegg lists it as being out-of-stock now.

Any reason for a 120GB Intel SSD in addition to another bigger SSD and a 2TB hard drive?

People still use optical disks?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Bah Samsung is crap i recommend the Kingston HyperX 3K
For the rest Freaking nice build!

http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/hyperx#sh103s3

Assuming the 120GB ssd is for the system, I'd go for a bigger one.

The price difference between a 750GB and a 1TB Samsung ssd isn't huge either, but that depends on what you want to use it for.

If it were me I would cut the SSD down to 500GB and use the savings to buy another graphics card, assuming your motherboard supports that, I haven't checked (either SLI or a compute card) or upgrade the 780. But I suppose it depends on what you need the big SSD for, I've never had that much SSD space myself so I wouldn't know how to use it anyway.

Other than that, nice rig! cool.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

If you can wait a few weeks, Intel have just released the i7 4790k. It's basically a 4770k but with a 4GHz base frequency. It will be the same price as the 4770k, so if you're looking at a longer term machine, I'd wait.

Then in a year or two, you could add a liquid cooler and overclock it.

also GTX 780 and a 750GB ssd? That is awesome.

Seconded

Bah Samsung is crap i recommend the Kingston HyperX 3K
For the rest Freaking nice build!

http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/hyperx#sh103s3

I havnt been geeking out on SSD stats for a while, so I don't want to make a specific recommendation, but as a general one: don't geek out to much about SSD stats. The performance differences between current gen SSD's are not that interesting in practice. Aim for reliability and a good price per GB.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement