Minimum specs for a game dev laptop

Started by
29 comments, last by Ravyne 9 years, 10 months ago

Hi, I'm planning to buy a new laptop and I'd like to know the minimum specifications to look for, so that I can comfortably develop games. By comfortably, I mean that the hardware shouldn't be a bottleneck at any point. (I know a desktop is a better choice for the screen size, but that's not an option here for me).

I'm just a hobbyist game developer, but I don't want the option of developing graphically intensive games pre-emptively taken away from me by having bought the wrong laptop.

My budget is at $1000. I looked at some 4GB RAM laptops. Then I read some reviews which said that with 4GB RAM , rendering tasks do take much longer time.

A friend finally suggested that if I need a laptop which gives me room for any kind of gamedev work, then the minimum config should be this:

1. Minimum 8GB DDR3 memory

2. Intel i7 (4th gen)

3. Nvidia/AMD GPU

4. 15 Inch screen with 1920 x 1080 resolution

5. 512 GB HDD

All laptops with the above configs weigh easily more than 2.5 kgs.

My question: Are the above configs really necessary? Is there a way to drop some of them and thus have a lighter weight laptop?

Advertisement

Yes. Look for smaller screen sizes.

With that budget, you can have an entry/mid-level GPU, and 8gb of memory. It won't be enough for next-gen, but then again, you might not need next-gen. However, I don't think you can find one that's under 15 inch that easily.

If you do insist on sub-15inch though, all you'll get is entry-level GPU.

Maybe a cheap Asus RoG? I haven't looked at their current ranges, but they had some nice systems last I checked (which was in 2010-2011 I think...).

Pay special attention to the GPU used in the laptop, they are typically the weak link. Typically a small laptop won't come with a high end (mobile) GPU.

Cheers!

probably the best thing to do is determine the system requirements of the games you want to make, then buy the best value in a light weight laptop that meets those specs.

that way you don't over buy or under buy.

as mentioned above, graphics (gpu and monitor) will be the weak link in a laptop, perhaps making a system that meets your specs a bit more pricey for the nice graphics you'll want for higher end game graphics development.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Something ive seen mentioned a lot is to get a laptop with a good full size keyboard. It might not be very nice to develop on a keyboard where some buttons are weird sized and placements and others are completely missing. Especially if you want to optimize your game for people with normal keyboards.

You can often replace the RAM/HDD yourself, so dont ignore laptops that dont have 8 GB (check if you can replace it). An SSD would probably be useful if you can afford it (some laptops have some weird SSD caches, not sure if those are useful). Not many laptops have these things so youll end up paying more if you dont add them yourself as well as being restricted in your options.

o3o

Personally, I prefer developing on the lowest-end hardware (cheapest) because I know that if I can make something run awesome on that, then my game will be playable by everybody, and not just those who can afford a high end machine. I'm not saying that this is the right way, I just thought I'd share my strategy.

Two most important things for me are RAM and solid state drive. The RAM is by far the most important though. Basically any GPU works well enough for all the things I do. If you want to work with the latest OpenGL features or whatever then a more modern GPU should be on your priority list. Otherwise I feel that any dedicated GPU will be fine, so you can get a pretty cheap one.

4 GB of RAM is not enough for a 64bit OS, imo. You'll want at least 8, but you can always replace these yourself if you find some laptops with only 4. The SSD is extremely nice for compiling and just turning on the machine in general. Right now I'm stuck with a laptop that has a nice GPU but only 4 GB of ram. Even though I have a nice SSD for the OS, the RAM shortage causes constant hard drive thrashing and it's just ridiculous.

I spent around 900 on my laptop about 2 years ago, so I'm sure you can find what you need for 1k.

There's no definitive answer.

For example, for the kind of work I do, laptops don't cut it. Game development requires fast iteration time:

You need a fast CPU for compilation time. Specially if you do C++ work. Even in Unity (which uses C#) you need CPU power to compress/process your assets. Preferrably >= 4 cores.

You need a fast GPU so you can push the boundaries of your game as much as you can, unless you're doing casual. Driver quality is also very important.

You need a lot of RAM. A lot. >= 8GB in 64-bit OSes.

SSDs help a lot, but haven't tried myself. Personally by using a RAM-drive I've managed to speed up those operations that require an SSD (Visual Studio 2012's intellisense, I'm looking at you)

All of this while your laptop doesn't overheat. ASUS is really good on that aspect (Avoid HP). While you may find an uber laptop that doesn't overheat, a desktop system that matches these requirements are easier to get and probably more within your budget, and may be even get a second monitor.

A friend finally suggested that if I need a laptop which gives me room for any kind of gamedev work, then the minimum config should be this:

Sorry but this is complete nonsense. I'm currently working on a 2D/OpenGL game in C++ on a 2008' thinkpad with 2gig ram and a core2 duo cpu. Absolutely no issues here. Drawing/Spriting also works very well. If you work with C/C++ you can speed up the debug-cycle using makefiles (or equivalent) so you automatically only compile to the object file(s) you actually work on. It's not suitable for making 3D games with high polycount though.

So the answer is as always "it depends".

. I'm currently working on a 2D/OpenGL game in C++ on a 2008' thinkpad with 2gig ram and a core2 duo cpu. Absolutely no issues here.

I go back and forth between a GTX 560 Ti and a ION 2 (GT218 GPU, 16 "CUDA" cores) to do my 3D OpenGL coding. I think the ION 2 might be less powerful than an old GeForce 8600 GT. I just need it to be spec compliant (supports up to OpenGL 3.3 with a couple of nice extensions), not top of the line.

So my recommendation: Grab something new, not necessarily powerful. You need many open doors, not just bigger doors.That means, OpenGL 4.4/D3D 11.2 if you delve into 3D graphics and current techniques further down the line, and on the CPU side, something with AVX2 in the case you ever want to do some manually vectorized core in the future. Just to keep possibilities open.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement