Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zendo

BMFont Demo (exe and source) don't work

This topic is 1495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I tried to run demo and compile code downloaded from

http://www.angelcode.com/dev/bmfonts/

Demo exe says "failed to initialize".

log.txt:

...

acgfx_font.cpp | 933|Unrecognized format for 'data/comic24.fnt'

application.cpp| 42|Failed to initialize font 'data/comic24.fnt' (-1)

acframe_applica| 160|Application specific init failed (-1)

 

Source code had an error (VS 2010) but it was easy to correct (by declaring int n outside of "for"). However, when built, application also failed to initialize.

Log:

...

acgfx_graphics.| 342|Available render target format: L16

acgfx_graphics.| 633|Effect file 'data/font.fx' failed to compile (0x88760B59)

acgfx_font.cpp | 135|Failed to load 'data/font.fx' (-1)

application.cpp| 40|Failed to initialize font 'data/arial24.fnt' (-1)

acframe_applica| 160|Application specific init failed (-1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

I already informed Andreas Jonsson about this. :)

Here is what he said yesterday:

 

"Thanks for letting me know about the problem with 'bitmapfonts.exe'. It's been ages since I updated that sample. I'll need to revisit it to update it to support the current file format."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thanks!

That demo is very important to me, because I want to learn how to use bitmap fonts, not how to create them. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've updated the demo now. Download the file again, and let me know if it is still causing any problems for you.

 

Regards,

Andreas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. It works well. Thank you, Andreas.

Maybe only some glitch, when we resize a column narrow enough (see pic).

 

2. I managed *.sln to be opened in VS 2010, changing two upper lines:

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 12.00
# Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop

to

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 11.00
# Visual Studio Express 2010 for Windows Desktop

And set "Property Pages" - "VC++ Directories" - "Platform Toolset" to "v100", to find all include files.

 

3. Now I can think how to make letters look outstanding. (In my future epic programs).

With some coloring and shading of edges, probably.

I thought of some tags to change colors inline, like <#RRGGBB> or <#RRGGBBAA>, but likely it's better not to make things complex and let the program make separate calls for different colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!