Sign in to follow this  

Drag equation

This topic is 1281 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First take a look at this (anyway theres 3 drag areas top, front and side areas of a jet)

but lets talk about only two top view area and frontal area.

drag.jpg

how should i calculate drag force since: drag = sin(angleofattack)*drag_force_of_firstarea + cos(angleofattack)*drag_force_of_secondarea  doesn't seem to work as it should.

This is a fairly crude approach to drag force. A simpler, but equally crude, approach would be to use the area of the aircraft projected onto a plane perpendicular to the direction of motion.

How are you expecting drag to work?

I calculate drag by: drag_coefficient* ( (denisty * vecolity squared) / 2.0f) * drag_area

angleof attack is angle between model pitch and moving direction

brucedjones

Posted Yesterday, 02:51 PM

This is a fairly crude approach to drag force. A simpler, but equally crude, approach would be to use the area of the aircraft projected onto a plane perpendicular to the direction of motion.

How are you expecting drag to work?

wtf?

CombatWombat ill take a look at it.

doesn't seem to work as it should.

As a simple approach to drag, your equations appear adequate. If that doesn't "seem to work," what are you expecting (as asked above) that you're not getting?

whenever i raise my nose (even to 0.5 degree) i get massive drag that prevents me from reaching 302 knots

float AngleOfAttack =				AngleBetweenVectors(vel,ThrustForce_vec);
float tmpangle = RadToDeg(AngleOfAttack);

LiftCoeff = sin(AngleOfAttack) / 2.0f;//+0.050;

DragForce_vec = reverse_point(vel);  DragForce_vec = Normalize( DragForce_vec ); i_drag_force = DragForce_vec;
DragForce_vec = vector_multiple(DragForce_vec,0.080f * ((dens * squareSpeed)/2.0f) * cos(tmpangle*imopi)*3.6f); //the thrust drag force

i_drag_force = vector_multiple(i_drag_force,1.280f*((dens * squareSpeed)/2.0f)*   sin(tmpangle*imopi)*38.0f);

DragForce_vec = DragForce_vec + i_drag_force;

float LiftForce = 0.50f * LiftCoeff * dens * squareSpeed * 38.0f;// <--- LIFT AREA

LiftForce_vec.x = YPRangle.AIR_MATRIX[4]; /up
LiftForce_vec.y = YPRangle.AIR_MATRIX[5];
LiftForce_vec.z = YPRangle.AIR_MATRIX[6];

LiftForce_vec = vector_multiple(LiftForce_vec, LiftForce);

result_force = GForce_vec + ThrustForce_vec + DragForce_vec + LiftForce_vec;

Assuming that you've stepped through your code, checking values at each line: in which line do you get unexpected values?

((dens * squareSpeed)/2.0f) * cos(tmpangle*imopi)*3.6f)

I'm not sure what all you're variables and factors represent. However, a simple drag force would be proportional to 1/2*density*v2*area. If I understand your diagram and angles correctly, the area should be proportional to the sin(angle), not cos.

Edited by Buckeye

This topic is 1281 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.