Cross platform 3D board game (checkers/chess), what options are there?

Started by
2 comments, last by Chirieac 9 years, 10 months ago

Hi,

How can I create a 3D board game like checkers or chess that can run on Android and iOS (just for newer versions)?

Actually, I only need to create a 3D board since it needs to be integrated in an existing 2D game application. The app should allow for 2D board (existing) and 3D board (to be created).

The best way I guess would be to use an existing cross-platform library/framework, but what I was able to find was mostly game engines that are too much for what I need I think.

Basically I think I mostly need a 3D renderer.

Another option I think would be to just use OpenGL ES by myself to do it, but I never done graphics programming, so it might be too much for me. But if you think that for just a board game it will not be too complex, than I don't mind spending some time learning OpenGL ES first.

What do you think?

Advertisement
There are ten major cross-platform engines and libraries listed in the forum FAQ. Did you look in to any of those?

If you want you can do this in Unity3d in 1 day. For iOS ,Android, also Windows Phone 8. The mobile version is Free.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

If you want you can do this in Unity3d in 1 day. For iOS ,Android, also Windows Phone 8. The mobile version is Free.

Thanks, but I needed to integrate it into an existing Objective-C and Java application, so Unity wasn't an option.

In the end I've decided to use different libraries for each platform. For Android I'm not sure what I'm gonna use, but for iOS8+ I've decided to use Apple's SceneKit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement