Monster in a Horror Game

Started by
3 comments, last by LiberLogic969 9 years, 10 months ago

I learned about a frog today that breaks a bone in its toe and uses it as a claw. That got me thinking, such a zombie or other monster in a game that uses its bones extruding out the body as a weapon would be great in a horror game. The idea of a bone sticking out of the body makes me uneasy, and that is why I think it would be great in a horror game. Instead of having a zombie with a weapon, its hand is gone and has a sharpened forearm bone sticking out of his arm.

Any thoughts on the idea? Are there any examples of this already in a game?

My current game project Platform RPG
Advertisement

Are you thinking about this from an art perspective or a mechanics perspective? What would it add to the gameplay?

In MediEvil the weakest weapon in the game is just the main character pulling off his arm and flailing it about. It was pretty funny, but didn't serve much more beyond that.

Bones poking through skin or sticking out in any way always makes my skin crawl. I think it is a fantastic way to spice up a monster. The addition to a "stabbing" weapon built into the end of a creature's arm can make for interesting gameplay if you have different wound types.

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

Well, that actually happens in games like Dead Space and Amnesia. I like it very much.

Are you thinking about this from an art perspective or a mechanics perspective? What would it add to the gameplay?

In MediEvil the weakest weapon in the game is just the main character pulling off his arm and flailing it about. It was pretty funny, but didn't serve much more beyond that.

Gameplay wise, it could increase the threat level of an enemy as you harm them. Shooting off that really fast zombies arm could basically give it a sword... intense hehehe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement