Sign in to follow this  

Share the most challenging problem you solved recently! What made you feel proud?

This topic is 1284 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Figuring out ways with extremely limited CPU-time to determine sunlight and atmospheric contribution levels for each voxel. It turns out, it's not a good idea to try to do this realtime. My results are quite ok - and I'm very happy with how I managed to survive with just 1 ray and some clever usage of atmospheric contribution. But in the end, some pre-processing will be needed. Unfortunate when the world is anything but static.

 

The problem is mostly that there's no way to make it acceptable with anything less than ~16 rays. Which is ridicolous considering I'm making it look OK-ish with just 1 ray. It's kind of mind-blowing what a decent hack can do, that doing it the right way with 16+ rays can't.

Edited by Kaptein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm jealous of so many of above posters accomplishments :)

 

I recently got 6 degrees of rotation and movement for my goofy space sim working and implemented the collision detection. It's been my first foray into 3d game programing and openGL as well. It nearly made me give up on opengl entirely, but I got through it eventually. Now that the movement and collision are working properly and I've streamlined the code to run a bit smoother with so many objects in the game, the basic structures seem to be in place. I can finally move on to the fun parts of programming the gameplay for awhile :D Here's to hoping the annoying hurdles are mostly behind me until the last 10% of everything. Wishful thinking I'm sure, but at the moment I can't bear any more math problems :P

 

Congratulations to everyone above!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so much of a "Boy, how cool", but i dont want this thread to die. :P
So... My most recent accomplishment was a first running version of a iso surface extraction algorithm i thought of and implemented from scratch. The results are (almost) equal to those of the marching cubes algorithm, but since my algorithm extracts and then triangulates pathes from a grid LOD should be easily implementable ( Which i will have a look into soon. ) :P
So far its running pretty fast concerning its a very naive approach and just meant as a prove of concept... But a remake is in the forge atm and its goin good :P

"Complex" cases like a 6-Node Path are simplified atm thus details are lost, but this method (with the right implementation) Also allows for sharp features as tested with rotated cubes. This is a little fiddly, tho :P

 

I would post a picture of it, but as wireframe its just messy ( As usual: Iso surface with shit tons of triangles ) and i didnt implemented lighting for it yet so its just a clump of... well... Colored Triangles... Every color beeing the same. :P
If there is intereset i might post more details or try to implement a quick and dirty lighting solution for actual usefull pictures.... ^^"

 

 

DONT DIE, THREAD! The world needs peo... topics like you! (Or at least i do, against the boredom!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im pretty proud of my ISO file generator (cd-rom image maker), which can be found here. It's old but it work flawlessly, so far. I decided to make this after browsing around to find something similar but found nothing that was easy to use. The only drawback it has is that everything as to be done in one go. You can't edit a current iso file atm. The core of the code is a bit hard to understand but the interface to use it is really slick.

 

Although, the real gem is this, a remote pc client-server application that let you control other peoples computers that run the server. It has something like 25k(maybe more) lines of codes, biggest project i've ever made.

 

And of course, my library.

Edited by Vortez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote a custom scene exporter for blender, it doesnt sound that good but for the first time I can render my own models in opengl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... the last thing I did is... find a method to force specialized-only static polymorphism without the need of using macros, thanks to C++11... Well, I know that is not so challenge, but my GFX card died .-., and I'm actually using an old heirloom in replace and fortunately its drivers seems to works anyway (thanks to WDDM retro-compatibility)... so I'm actually "out of work" (don't take it literally, I'm still a student... and unemployed anyway) :\

 

Implemented ECHO on AMD GCN. About 250% performance up yummy tongue.png

 

Tell us more ph34r.png

Edited by Alessio1989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as amazing as other people's accomplishments but I recently figured out how to make characters in my game shoot lasers. That, and I'm also almost done finally completing my first game :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That, and I'm also almost done finally completing my first game.

 

 

- Yes, it's true .. a lot of fun, when this game gets played between players ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this