My idea to promote my game. What's yours?

Started by
10 comments, last by FishingCactus 9 years, 10 months ago

Hi Guys!

Last time we failed at promoting our game about programming and that's the reason why we didn't make it on Kickstarter smile.png Now, we try to build a community behind the game before the reboot on KS. For this, I created a mini-site with the basics of programming and some videos of the gameplay. It would be great if you could share it around you.

If you have another idea to help us promoting our game, please tell me smile.png

You can see the Kickstarter preview page here.

Cheers,

Sophie

algobot_knowyourcode.png

Communication is not a job. It's a passion! Working on Epistory :)

Advertisement
Interesting idea! Your information is very basic "high level overview" sort of stuff, but it could make for a really good way of getting non-programmers interested in the basics - hope it works out well for you! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks! I hope too but I think that it's too much basic! We'll see... :) but thanks for the support!

Love the videos :)

Good thinking!

Love the videos smile.png

Good thinking!

Thanks! Just told it to our Game Designer who made it and he's glad to hear it!

For a second, I didn't know how to "overcome" the first part (shame on me) and then figured how you'd reuse the function and almost slapped my own face.

Very interesting concept, I'm sure it will help a number of enthusiasts with limited understanding of game programming (everything else is just syntax right?!)

For a second, I didn't know how to "overcome" the first part (shame on me) and then figured how you'd reuse the function and almost slapped my own face.

Very interesting concept, I'm sure it will help a number of enthusiasts with limited understanding of game programming (everything else is just syntax right?!)

I hope so! But for that we need to get the game known and so the mini-site :) which is not as easy!

I think you're realistically looking at a small target audience (there's nothing wrong with that), so I can understand how hard it can be to reach your niche market.

Coming to gamedev was a good idea, because there are a lot of aspiring programmers.

My personal recommendation would be to answer some questions on specific boards (game industry job advice, for begginners (technical)) and make your signature a bit more descriptive.

The idea is to attach your credibility (which you've garnered from helping people directly with technical matters or introduction steps to the industry) directly with your product.

That way you'll be tapping directly into your target audience. I'm not sure if it would be efficient, but it would certainly help.

Just my 2 cents!

Making a game that teaches programming is great, however I have played several (control the robot games) and I didn't keep them long.

I felt a disconnect between what I was learning from the games and what I could actually do in a real world setting with the game.

I guess it depends on your target audience. Something like Scratch has a unique concept where the instructions are like puzzle pieces and the "names" of the actions are simple and simulate what a real program would include. So it makes me not feel like I am programming, but that I am just solving a puzzle. Yet, I can do awesome programs with it, while learning real life problem solving techniques.

I guess it is the theme?

The key is knowing your target audience well, and what they want in a game that teaches programming, and play testing with a sample group. There is some website/service that
gives you direct feedback from testers on your game. I forget the name of it though. Maybe it will come to me.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

@Orymus3 Thx! I know that helping others would be great and I am doing my best to get my programmers on GameDev. I'll try harder! As for the niche, the thing is that when we launch the game on Kickstarter for the first time we touched the niche. We had 250 backers, all programmers. The problem is that I think that we afraid non-programmers which is sad because Algo-Bot can suit to puzzle-lovers too. It's hard to make people understand that! Programming is everywhere!

@Tutorial Doctor Yeah Algo-Bot is quite the same. You solve problems using programming concepts without knowing. Thx for the feedback!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement