Sign in to follow this  

Onboard spaceship gameplay

This topic is 1275 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to develop a multiplayer game where players are aboard a spaceship for moderate periods of time, but I'm having trouble thinking of interesting gameplay while on the ship. I was thinking players could form groups or go solo into holo-deck type rooms to fight/train. What are some other interesting activities players could do?

I want to develop a multiplayer game where players are aboard a spaceship for moderate periods of time, but I'm having trouble thinking of interesting gameplay while on the ship. I was thinking players could form groups or go solo into holo-deck type rooms to fight/train. What are some other interesting activities players could do?

If you can't think of anything fun to do while being on a ship, why would you include being on a ship?

I'm interested in science vessel applications. I would imagine being "indoors" while the ship is moving could involve manipulating instruments that give you some sensor or comm readings of the outside without actually placing the camera outside of the ship. It would be interesting to manipulate an interface in-game with your avatar.

Analyzing samples in labs could also be interesting.

What's your game about though?

Well first the boring stuff is done by the AI like Automated pilot or NPC Crew. The interesting things are done by the players. Also It would be nice if there is choice.

There are many ship task player could do. But I won't go for putting on every task a player, as most task are periodic and some sets are only done in specific situations.

1/10 to 1/3 of the crew. Larger ships even fewer.

Commander/Captain the one who orders players and NPC. // one is in the lead.

Pilot handle the short navigation and main fixed guns.

Navigation does the advance navigation //  compute hyperjumps and approach vector work close with the pilot

Radar officers could handle the many sensors.

Drones controller //. one officer manage the many types of drones.

Remote fighter drones. // Player could remotely use heavy drones. Or take over special drone on mission like a probe.

Primary turrets controller // some one manage all the primary guns

Gunneries // some big guns could be handle by one player.

secondary turrets controller of these there are much more of so some needs to manage them..

deep space radar missile controller. // it's normal to track many objects in space as very far object as line of sight is very far. and missile ranges are very far.

In space sensory is important that when combating far a few player could control there own deep space radar array.

Docked ships so a player could lead some of the drones.

Security against boarding

Boarding marines

A role for micro managing the ship //

Manage repair crew and drones.

Defense commander of anti missile missile and missile defense turrets. Flak guns

flight commander who manage the strike force on carrier type ship.

It doesn't mean a big ship needs 25 player. 5 to 7 and player could pick a role avaible the like. And fill the un slotted roles by AI Crew.

Also some play styles or gameplay doesn't lend well for larger multi crew vessels.

Like trading or building. How ever. 2 to 3 could. If you open automated task for the extra players.

For one player all task could be overwhelming but would be playable if game give you very skilled AI crew to assist you.

which means those who you don't need to baby sit. So a very stong AI is needed. This is no easy task.

For very large multi crew ships to keep those gamers busy, go for more combat rich gameplay like battle and boarding.

And fast traveling to the action.

If fleet commander just like the carrier commander would have also a fleet to manage.

so I see some possibilities, but never see it done before. So needs to prototype if a mixture of this leads to fun gameplay for some.

This topic is 1275 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.