First time DX11

Started by
3 comments, last by Jason Z 9 years, 10 months ago

I am trying to migrate from dx9 to dx11, but have difficulty setting my project to build properly (express version of VS 2013).

1. I set the path to inc & lib dirs of my dx sdk (june 2010)

2. I set in linker options to include these libs:

d3d11.lib

d3dcompiler.lib

d3dx11d.lib

3. I have included DirectxTK library into my "solution" using guidelines from this site since this documentation say that D3DX11CreateShaderResourceViewFromFile is deprecated (tho i am on Windows7 still), and i want to be able to load my textures.

When i build my solution i get this errors/warnings, but they are all related to stuff from win/dx sdk:

errors.jpg

I dont know how to resolve this. Please help. unsure.png

Advertisement

The macro redef is because you're including the Directx SDK found with the Windows SDK along with your version of Directx 11, I had these warnings, an easy and clean way would be to disable the warning ( What I do ) smile.png .

This article does a better job than I do in describing it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee663275.aspx

The easy way out:

"You can disablewarning C4005 if needed; however, this warning indicates you are using the older version of these headers."

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

I read article you have provided but still having problems, i even removed directxtk from my solution so i can be sure it is not cause of trouble.

I dont know where did i specify to load dx sdk from win sdk, when i explicitly set the path to dx sdk june 2010?!?

OMG, this pisses me off to boiling point.

How do i force it to load proper libs and headers from "normal" dx sdk june 2010?

I dont know where did i specify to load dx sdk from win sdk, when i explicitly set the path to dx sdk june 2010?!?

You don't specify it. You obviously need the Windows SDK to build Windows app. The SDK that ships with VS2013 includes DirectX in the Windows SDK. Therefor, if you build with 2013, you're going to get these issues.

One option is to just stop using the June 2010 SDK. Replace your D3DX usage with the various Shared Source libraries Microsoft published on Codeplex, see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2013/08/21/living-without-d3dx.aspx for more information.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

SeanMiddleditch has it right - you should seriously consider getting out of the D3DX library and instead use an alternative. It is possible to continue using it, but you will run into issues like these until you just get rid of the DXSDK. Embrace the change!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement