Thoughts on my art Theme

Started by
4 comments, last by zylski 9 years, 9 months ago

Hi everyone! I know I will probably get a lot of criticism but hey thats what im looking! I am wondering what people think of my current art style I am implementing in a 2D side scrolling RPG. There is a short video (OLD) I will link below. Here is a short overview.

Enemies:

• Black for weak
  • Black and one color for Champions and bosses (more color the harder)

Weapons:

• Blue - Ice - swords
  • Red - Fire - spears
  • Purple - Shadow - scyths
  • Green - earth - axes

Characters:

• Black - Hero and less important charecters
  • Single color for important characters (or black and color)

looking for other ideas!

[media]https:

[/media]

mockUp1-e1398266964269.png

Advertisement

While the backgrounds are really cool, the character being a silhouette reminds me instantly of the very widely known Limbo, and I think will make alot of your potential fans would be prevented from buying the game by thinking it is a Limbo-copycat, and you'd probably get points instant-knocked off your journalist reviews as well. That single choice could really hamper your game's sales.

Child-like silhouetted side-scrolling character with bright white eyes - it's very very very clearly identical to Limbo's style, whether accidental, coincidental, or by inspiration. Way too similar.

I suggest making the character very darkly textured/colored, but still colored and detailed. Not a single color, but colored hair, clothes, skin, etc...

Less importantly so, but I suggest the same with the terrain. Not for copycat reasons, but for artistic reasons.

I'd do a softly colored, melding together, style of terrain just like the background - but very darkly colored so it contrasts well.

Shouldn't this be in Visual Arts rather than Game Design?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I dont think you should change the style. Where would we be if someone said we cant do painterly like bastion. it looks too similar. I see nothing wrong with the main characters and others being shadows. who cares if its been done before. Let me see your take on it.

I dont think you should change the style. Where would we be if someone said we cant do painterly like bastion. it looks too similar. I see nothing wrong with the main characters and others being shadows. who cares if its been done before. Let me see your take on it.

I semi-agree with that. Just because Jet Grind Radio did cell-shading first, doesn't mean Legend of Zelda: Windwaker or Borderlands shouldn't be cell-shaded.

However, even someone that hasn't played any of those three games before, can instantly tell they are different games and unrelated to each other's gameplay. None of them look like clones of the other.

On the other hand, Limbo has been played by over 3 million people. This is the exact same audience that zylski's game is going to be marketed to. You don't want journalists to down-rate their reviews, and lost sales from customers, because they mistakenly think your game is a clone. It definitely looks like a clone because of one single very noticeable similarity (the main character) that can be fixed in about two days work.

Unless it's a deliberate parody or commentary - See Braid's castle and Yoshi - you don't want people about to buy your game to think, "Oh, this is a cheap knockoff clone product attempting to cash in on another game's success. I think I'll pass.".

At the very least, make the character solid blue or something. Or use his silhouette as a mask into another texture that is fixed in the background, as if his body is a window into another dimension - or something! Do anything except exactly what a really recent, really similar, really widely-known game has already done.

Not bad ideas, but I think I should have waited for more screenshots before I posted this. What I have now doesn't really accurately portray what my theme really is. I do plan to stick to a dichromatic color pallett but I am executing it differently then what is portrayed. I plan to use bits an pieces from each comment. I think I will have plenty of separation from Limbo, but as with a lot of games there still will be a similarity I can't get rid of, but it will be noticeably different, and hopefully still clean and polished.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement