Noob question on hashmaps

Started by
2 comments, last by zee_ola05 9 years, 10 months ago

Hi,

I'm currently programming a system where a series of AI-governed units have to make an assessment of what their best target to attack is.

They are looking at a hashmap that contains all AI units and check if these are hostile towards them.

The problem I'm faced with is that I also have a 'player' which is a different class that I would like to be listed in there, but quite unsurprisingly, the hashmap is typed and won't allow for my player class to be included.

My best solution so far is to make two standalone checks (one with the hashmap, and a single one with the player) but I'm assuming there must be an easier way (perhaps an untyped hashmap?).

Any way to solve this easily without having to rebuild a matrix that contains data that is similar between AIs and the player?

Thanks

Advertisement

If you want to have the player object in the hashmap as well, and the hashmap is typed, the player needs to have the same interface as the other objects. That means, for example, that all of the objects could inherit from the same superclass, provided that there are enough similarities for this to make sense, of course. Otherwise, they could just explicitly implement the same interface. Then you should type the hashmap with the superclass or interface.

Make sense?

I thought about this actually.
Started looking into interfaces a few weeks ago actually (never used them yet).
I will try it thanks!

Yes, Interface. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement