Visual Programming

Started by
40 comments, last by Rebin 9 years, 6 months ago

Latest Update: I have released a very very (I can't stress this enough) early ALPHA version which can be found here http://korduene.com.

I have been a regular visitor to this site for a long time, unlike some other places, this seems like a nice community, so today I decided to sign up, get your input on the topic.

I've been programming for a couple of years now, while back I thought it might be a good idea to create something for those who are not so good at programming or just don't want to program, but like to create programs.

I've researched online a bit and it seems like (to my understanding) there aren't lots of programs like this out there (they are mostly a part of game engines or 3D packages), and the other ones missing lots of features and quite limited.

Here is what I have done, a program to create windows applications (for now) where there is absolutely no coding (but you have the option to write your own code) plus a window designer (like the one in visual studio for the .NET languages), compiling the application is as easy as clicking a button.

I have been working on this for ages and half of it is finished.

So, what I want to know is:

Is it really worth it? (I mean finishing the development of the program).

How successful a program like this would be out there?

Would people (or would you) be interested in something like this?

What features should this program have in your opinion?

What features should this program have to make it a success?

Any input is much appreciated.

Screenshot of the graph editor.

scr_Shot.png

new1.png

new2.png

Update 1: Here are screenshots of a really really ALPHA version of the application (Everything is subject to change).

app1.png

app2.png

Update 2: I have released a very very (I can't stress this enough) early ALPHA version which can be found here http://korduene.com.

Developer of Korduene

Advertisement

Have you seen the visual editor in UE4? I think it targets the same or similar functionality that you are implementing. That should tell you that there is at least some demand for such a feature - most likely to allow designers to get in on behavior modification and things like that.

Would you ever see yourself using such a system? Are you planning to make a product or to provide an open source library? I would say that if you are learning while you are building the system, then keep on going!

Tools like this tend to be good for designing workflows in a functional manner, so they work really well for things like the applying shaders in the UE4 engine as mentioned above.

The problem with them for general purpose programing is that they become unwieldy very quickly. Representing constructs likes loops and branches is difficult to achieve.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I posted on "Node Based Programming" a while ago, and I am still very interested in it.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/650883-examples-of-node-based-programming/

There are a few links to examples there.

Try out GamePress if you have an iPad. It is the best use of node programming. I wish it had desktop version.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

A lot of high end engines are moving to node based approaches. The new Ubisoft Snowdrop (is that the right name???) does judging by the videos they've released, UE4, and most of the proprietary AAA engines use such an approach these days.

The most time consuming aspect of making a AAA game is content creation. You need to empower content creators (artists, designers, etc.) to build simple behaviours. You need to spend your SE time on difficult technical problems to set your game apart, not on grunt work scripting simple behaviours like windmills spinning and AI behaviours.

What are your goals with this? If you want to make money, you will probably need to find a niche. Maybe UE4 is more comprehensive and powerful, but if you can find a niche, like "much easier to use" for simple games or apps you could steal a segment of the market.

Would you ever see yourself using such a system? Are you planning to make a product or to provide an open source library? I would say that if you are learning while you are building the system, then keep on going!

I actually do, even though I don't have a problem with programming, i think this would be much easier.

To be honest i don't think it will be open source, however i will be releasing a free edition for sure.

I have learnt more than i thought i would have, so i guess i keep going.

Thanks for your input.

Developer of Korduene

The problem with them for general purpose programing is that they become unwieldy very quickly.

I understand the graph spaghetti madness problem, but i have a couple of ideas that would reduce that as much as possible.

Thanks for your input.

Developer of Korduene

I posted on "Node Based Programming" a while ago, and I am still very interested in it.

Well im happy to see somebody's interested in it, shall let you know when the first beta is out :)

Developer of Korduene

A lot of high end engines are moving to node based approaches. The new Ubisoft Snowdrop (is that the right name???) does judging by the videos they've released, UE4, and most of the proprietary AAA engines use such an approach these days.

The most time consuming aspect of making a AAA game is content creation. You need to empower content creators (artists, designers, etc.) to build simple behaviours. You need to spend your SE time on difficult technical problems to set your game apart, not on grunt work scripting simple behaviours like windmills spinning and AI behaviours.

What are your goals with this? If you want to make money, you will probably need to find a niche. Maybe UE4 is more comprehensive and powerful, but if you can find a niche, like "much easier to use" for simple games or apps you could steal a segment of the market.

That's what i thought, however these are game engines, mine is used for creating applications, but i could use the framework to make a game engine too.

The whole point of this program is to give non-programmers a chance to be able to create applications without coding. I can see that there are some engines out there use the same concept, but is there really an actual piece of software for creating applications and not games?

Developer of Korduene

You may want to take a look at Lightswitch - a system MS has made for creating line-of-business applications built around data storage and manipulation. It's not really node-based, but it's an interesting way to create applications with a certain range of common business-oriented tasks.

If nothing else it may give you implementation ideas smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement