Anyone have experience with Wwise?

Started by
2 comments, last by aldonbaker 9 years, 8 months ago

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody here has experience with the Wwise sound engine for game development. I'm trying to do some research on it and I would love to know what you guys think, especially those of you who have experience using it as a Unity plugin.

Specifically:

-What features did you find most helpful?

-What features (if any) were lacking/missing?

-How was it incorporated into your workflow?

-Did you use it to manage all aspects of sound for your project, or just certain parts?

In case anyone is wondering, I'm working with a team that's considering building a plugin for Wwise, so the first phase of that process is reaching out to some experienced sound developers to see if there's a need for what we had in mind. Any information would be much appreciated,

Advertisement

I find your question valid but so general at the same time, that if one would like to answer it would take a whole book. So I'll write one thing which Wwise is lacking: positioning of large objects (sound sources like rivers etc.). Otherwise it standing quite well to current sound requirements. At the first glance seems to be not to intuitive, especially for people with typical DAW experience but it is rewarding after getting under it's skin. I'm not completely convinced to FMOD Studio interface at this point, when it comes to manage hundred or tousands of sounds.

That's my two cents.

♫♪♩♫ sound effects ♦ music ♦ for games ♫♪♩♫

Thanks for the input. A week ago I didn't even know what Wwsie was, so sorry if the question seemed a little vague, haha. It seems to be the consensus that Wwise is one of those things you have to put a lot of work into if you're going to get anything out of it.

May I ask if you worked as a sound designer or a programmer when you used it? And what project you used it for?

Yeah I'm experienced with wwise, but you need to be more detailed as to what you would use it for specifically.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement