Questions about game developing

Started by
3 comments, last by Jason Z 9 years, 9 months ago

Hi everyone!

I'm new to game developing and I have some questions:

1.What programs do I need for creating games using DirectX(Code::Blocks,Visual Studio ...)?

2.What game engine should I use(I want to learn,I don't have any expectation yet)? I tried Irrlicht, but I have got lots of errors in code::blocks and i didn't know what do to and what really caused them.

3.Where can I find some tutorials that can introduce me into DirectX development?I need something that explain me what something does and why do i must write something.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Hey.

1- I haven't tried Code::Blocks so I can't say anything about that but I am using Visual Studio and I am pretty happy with it. Also you might need Windows SDK or Direct X sdk. Windows SDK is newer but you need Windows 7 or 8.

2- If you really want to learn what is going on with Direct X I recommend you to create your own small applications. Since most of the game engines hide the complexities from the user it is hard to learn really what is going on by learning a game engine.

3-http://www.rastertek.com/

I have Direct X SDK.So, I must link it to visual studio and start learning ,right?

I have Direct X SDK.So, I must link it to visual studio and start learning ,right?

Yes. And if you start with the tutorial in that web page it starts with a tutorial to how to link it properly. Also I forgot to mention but Frank Luna's books are great for Direct X reference, it tells you most of the stuff that you need to know with detail. http://www.d3dcoder.net/ this is his web page and you can buy the book depending on the version of Direct X you want to learn. I am assuming you are going for Direct X 11.

If you install Visual Studio 2012 or 2013 Express for Windows Desktop, then the WinSDK is installed for you and has everything you need to get started. That's how I would suggest to get the tooling, since it is all available fairly easily and cost free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement