Whats tile Map?

Started by
3 comments, last by Sarkurd 9 years, 9 months ago

Hi
guys whats tile map and whats the advantages of using it?

Advertisement

A single image with many different textures on it. You use coordinates to select the different textures in your program.

They are used to reduce file clutter, and so the developers do not have to deal with file names.

[ LINK ] to an example of a tile map + map editor

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

It will also increase performance because you are only reading from one file rather than dozens of little files.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

A single image with many different textures on it. You use coordinates to select the different textures in your program.

They are used to reduce file clutter, and so the developers do not have to deal with file names.

What you are describing is an atlas. A tile map is the matrix that holds the indexes of tiles used, where the tiles can be stored in an atlas or as individual files.

The reason they were originally used is because older hardware did not have enough memory to store a large image, and so the image would be built out of smaller images (the tiles) that repeated often. All that needed to be stored were a few small tiles and a 2D array (the tilemap) that stored which tile was to be drawn in each location.

On the image that you linked to, the LHS is the tilemap, and the RHS is the atlas.

Thank you guys

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement