Space empire building game

Started by
27 comments, last by Acharis 9 years, 8 months ago

I try to think of game mechanics in a very tabletop/boardgame way. Your above idea of "culture" really intrigues me and I came up with this:

In many tabletop RPGs your character might obtain bonuses or "perks" that allow him/her to more easily hit or break an enemies' defense during combat. What if Culture was a measure of a planet's ability to "resist" the colonization of the Empire? For instance, a very high culture on Planet Gorp provides bonuses to the defenders' offensive capability and the population's resistance to adopting the Empire's rules (civil unrest, terrorism, coups).

BUT... if you can manage to spread the Empire's culture to a planet (spies, propaganda, space missionaries, entertainment) you can mitigate the above and turn the situation to your favor with penalties to the planets defense.

In a tabletop game this could be represented by a simple Attribute that influences various in-game tests:

ATTACK = (Weapon Skill + Weapon Rating + Random Roll) +/- Culture Bonus/Penalty

I hope this help! Realize it is a half-baked idea being typed at 5:51am. Adapt it, change it, improve it, or junk it!

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

Advertisement

You could create some kind of open-culture-treaty(something about free travel for citizens and open sports events etc.) that you offer to planets and then the culture/influence of the empire would start to (culturally) "convert" the population of those planets, off course it'll go slower if the empire has multiple of those treaties going on.

But what you think of these neutral planets in general? Do these fit? Maybe remove them?

The thing is, if I increase the number of planets (since these have no buildings, just one industry type - so we can afford to make more planets without overexerting the player) I will have more neutral planets, yet there is a limit to different races I can introduce (it's not even about implementation/budget, simply having more than 10-20 races is too much to remember/grasp to a player...) Yet, with this size of galaxy (like 100 planets let's say) making 10 neutral planets with unique races makes no sense to me...

I'm not sure.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Do races move ?
Are there racial differences ?
Will planets be unique enough without a unique race ?

But what you think of these neutral planets in general? Do these fit? Maybe remove them?

Neutral planets are a fitting addition. If I'm grasping the whole of your concept, they represent a "resource" that is not so much contested but unaligned. This certainly can lead to competition to control that resource that is different than finding unoccupied planets or colonizing enemy planets.

As I reflect on your game I can't help but to think of the Crusades, particularly the First through Third. I suggest you read some sort of brief history of the ebb and flow of that sad conflict for some ideas. The Islamic world shared a common faith, but they were often at odds with each other, allowing invading armies to conquer in the face of daunting odds. It seems to exemplify the idea of how neutral planets (in this case cities) relate to the surrounding power struggle.

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

Do races move ?
Nope. They just sit on their homeworld forever.

Are there racial differences ?
Will planets be unique enough without a unique race ?
Does it matter? If there are 100 planets and like 10-20 at most inhabited (one planet per race) it's a rare thing for a planet to have them... Either way I doubt it would add a lot of uniqueness to planets in general since there are so few of such races.

The low quantity of these really bothers me... I simply can't make 40 different races (which would make 40% of planets neutral which would be the best in my opinion).

Neutral planets are a fitting addition. If I'm grasping the whole of your concept, they represent a "resource" that is not so much contested but unaligned

Well, yes... Sort of. One of their uses is a neutral "cannon fodder" since they are attacked by all sort of invading aliens, symbiots, pirates, and since these neutral can put some sort of fight they can slow down the enemy (which happen to be your enemy as well). Anything that try to attack you will attack neutrals as well (maybe with few exceptions).

This certainly can lead to competition to control that resource
Competition with whom? There are no other empires.

As I reflect on your game I can't help but to think of the Crusades, particularly the First through Third. I suggest you read some sort of brief history of the ebb and flow of that sad conflict for some ideas. The Islamic world shared a common faith, but they were often at odds with each other, allowing invading armies to conquer in the face of daunting odds. It seems to exemplify the idea of how neutral planets (in this case cities) relate to the surrounding power struggle.
Yeah, sort of. Europe had the Church with a single Pope and, regardless of numerous local disputes and everything it was a centrally governed religion (to an extend) with some common goals for all kingdoms. Muslims had no such thing, they were all separated.

Yes, it's kind of the same here, the player is the Empire, all planets under one rule. Neutrals are divided.

But, more importantly, in the log run the neutrals will have to join to empire if they want to survive (invasion of aliens from another dimension that want to annihilate everyone). Also, neutrals share the same enemies with the empire.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Competition with whom? There are no other empires.

Who/what-ever you are fighting -- I'm using the words "competition" and "resource" in a super vague way. The planet not wanting to join the empire is competition. Or, as I tend to look at these games, any spot on the map, no matter how small, that I don't control is an affront and my competition!

Maybe like this:

There are 8 races in the galaxy (+ some hostile/toxic ones: borg, symbiots, aliens from the "Alien"). One of the races (Terrans) is the founder of the empire (player have their allegiance and their homeworld).

The player does not colonize planets (or not only the player), each race (doesn't matter if they are part of the empire or not) auto colonizes planets nearby their homeplanet from time to time. These planets are considered neutral/independent (in some cases they will instantly join the empire). The Empire can persuade a single planet (not the whole race) to join the Empire (especially easy if within cultural zone of the Empire). Upon first planet of that race joining the Empire you select the status of that race within empire (slaves-equal-masters), it affects all further planets of that race (well, it you set them as slaves they might not be so eager to join :D), if the homeworld of that race joins the Empire you get +50% to all other planets of that race joining the Empire.

Althrough, I'm not sure what should happen if you attack a planet of that race (does other planets will help them?). Note I would prefer to not implement any sophisticated algorithms for neutrals, since that's not the scope of the game.

Rebels - a planet can secceed from the Empire (event, some conditions, poor imperial stability value, etc). Such planet becomes a rebel (semi hostile), and can (and should) be reassimilated by the Empire. I think rebels should fight the empire actively somehow.

You can "grant independence" to ALL rebels planets (can't grant it to just one), in such case they will stop being rebels and become neutrals, they get tons of bonuses against joining the empire (cultural assimilation) and you are not allowed to conquer them for 100 turns (or face big prestige drop). Also, you lose some prestige (sometimes letting them secceed is simply not an option because it will destroy the empire internally).

I need help on these races/neutral planets. Not sure what model would make sense...

- make the galaxy empty (no neutrals only hostiles) and only one race (Terrans) that conlonizes it?

- make 8 races and they auto colonize regardless if they belong to empire or not and planets act separately (not per race)

- make like 40 races (a bit insane :D), problayby just parametrized (like: Race A is scientific + aggressive)

Or some other model?

I like there being neutral races, because it offers some potentially interesting choices with respect to how to annex them (propaganda, economic takeovers, slow immigration of loyal races, religious conversion...)

It sounds like you're making a distinction between the race and the state, which is a nice distinction that few of these games make. (We're used to expecting every "Bloglomid" settlement to be part of a Bloglomid empire, but don't Bloglomids ever just... emigrate?) It'd be extra interesting if planets could have multiple types aliens on them, potentially living in harmony, potentially simmering with resentment and periodic violence.

I think the 40 races is awesome. Procedurally generate their portraits and names and symbols! Have as many races as possible personality combinations; let people generate maps with a thousand alien races, each one different. It would get people talking! It'd be like Crusader Kings II except each person is an entire alien race.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement