A question about publishers

Started by
8 comments, last by Daniel Thomas Jr. 9 years, 9 months ago

Ok, so yesterday I had asked for help for a game, and that quickly got shut down! Sorry I didn't quite know where to go with that kind of post. Someone I talked with yesterday brought to my attention of how large scale my project is. He recommended me to come here, and ask about the possibilities of going to a publisher that would like the pitch enough to lend a team big enough to finish it, but I'm not quite sure how that works. If there is a way how should I start, and where should I go? I am 18, just out of high school, and I need to start somewhere.

Also, I read about the "Mythical man-month" guy, the "ideal guy", and how to manage a team, and were all interesting topics by the way. You just don't understand that I've heard all of those things too many times before. You know "you don't need to start something you know you can finish man, you know you have do something you know you can get done" , and do get me wrong I know the challenge I am facing. So, no I don't, I'm delusional, quit what I am doing because its too hard, no one will start anything with you, you are just the man who starts something and doesn't go through with it? No, it doesn't mean I am not going to run from it, but my project is neither just an idea anymore, nor is a late project in regards to the Mythical man-month thing. This is something I am really passionate about doing, and I intend on going through with it to the end. I would just like to say look at some of these bigger teams, like what was once irrational games. They took 5 years to create Bioshock Infinite, a game with considerable size, and finished it. Sure it had a few delay, but that was from all the criticism, and bugs that come from the development process. A big team or not, obstacles are always in the way, and I have clear mind of what I want to set out to accomplish. That is the difference between me, and those guys.

Advertisement

That is the difference between me, and those guys.

No, the difference between you and those guys is a cumulative years of experience and the technical knowledge to actually make a game.

If you're serious about making a game, you should start by learning how to make a game. And then, if you're still serious about your project, you'll use your technical knowledge to create a small prototype of your game which you believe demonstrates what your game is set out to accomplish. And then you'll take that prototype to a publisher. That's the process. You don't just walk up to a publisher as an 18 year old with an idea and a promise to "see it through" and expect them to pay attention.

Hahaha, actually it is funny you mention that. I actually I'm learning, and we are going to make a prototype. You know I it is kind of a go as you learn type thing. Also, I am aware that I can't just walk up empty hand, hahaha. It is like giving someone a key to nothing.

Usually, you go after a publisher for two things: money and structure. Publishers can give you money on a time or achieved milestone basis. They'll take upon themselves the marketing and distribution. They get the bigger cut of the profits, but having a publisher would boost your game's reach by x10³, so you'd make more money anyway.

On the other hand, some publishers may want to criticize your game's design and ask for changes that you don't want to make to make your title more commercial. They will probably ask for the IP (intellectual property) for your game (it will be theirs, not yours). If you fail to keep up, misses too many milestones or deliver a buggy or low quality product (by their judgement) they can kick you out and replace you with more experienced dev team, leaving you out with no rights to the game or any of its IP.

So, is having a publisher a good thing? Bet your cookies. But only do it if you have full confidence on your team of programmers, artists, designers [...]. You don't need a huge team, but definitely need a capable one.

From what I have read, almost all publishers won't touch indie developers until they have (at least) a prototype to give an idea of the vision they have and the direction they want to go in. Looking at your closed thread, this thread, and the steam thread makes me have to ask: how many games have you done before this one? All your conjecture sounds like that usual things I see from delusional beginners (which isn't necessarily a bad thing as I know a few guys who started out as delusional beginners and are now seasoned indie developers). Your idea sounds interesting, but you have to realize that most programmer's time is very valuable to them so getting an experienced programmer is going to be almost impossible (without upfront compensation) and in truth, your project will likely attract beginners that have either never done a game themselves or view your idea as a learning experience (meaning they may move on at any point if they feel they are stuck). The problem with forming a team with guys you have never met, communication, you may have a certain idea and if you can't communicate it fully, your team may misunderstand and do something different from what you had in mind.

A couple of them I actually do know personally, and the others we have had google hangout sessions, and I've explained everything to them in better detail. By now they all see where it will go, we just have to get to that prototype pretty soon. Like you said we will need a good programmer, I'm learning. Which is why we are probably going to use Unreal Engine 4, it just seem like it would be a lot more possible that way.

1. Someone I talked with ... recommended me to ... ask about the possibilities of going to a publisher that would like the pitch
2. I am 18, just out of high school, and I need to start somewhere.
3. This is something I am really passionate about doing, and I intend on going through with it to the end.

I moved your post to the Business forum since you're asking a business-related question. For Beginners is a technical forum. As for your points enumerated above:

1. Read FAQ 11 and 21.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson21.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson35.htm

2. I recommend college. Also read FAQ 12.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson12.htm

3. And then what? What will you do with your game when it's finished? You need a business plan. It costs money to make a game - and one game isn't much of a business. You need to plan on how the game will make more money than it cost to make.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/article60.htm - Publishing
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm - Forming a startup
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm - Finances of game dev

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I have indeed thought about all of that stuff. The purpose of this game is to tie a bridge between stories in my comic book universe, which is planned out from beginning to the end.

The purpose of this game is to tie a bridge between stories in my comic book universe, which is planned out from beginning to the end.

You are making a game to fill in between stories of a comic book that isn't published or even has a following? That is kind of like putting the carriage before the horse. This is always risky as most game-movie or game-comic hybrids like that end up hurting each other. Most companies will do what dejaime pointed out, if they see a potential franchise in your idea, they will make it so you sign the IP over to them and the first time they feel you can't deliver they will kick you to the curb and put their team on it. Don't believe us? Look at EA, they bought out Pandemic Studios, let everyone go except the teams that were working on The Saboteur and Mercenaries 3, after The Saboteur was done (from what I have read) they let the team go too. This is one scenario that you run the risk of happening when approaching a publisher.

Which is why I have shifted gears more towards getting the comic published, It is pretty much ready to go into production. However, We still are going to work on that prototype in the meantime. It will give us something to work with later on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement