Sign in to follow this  

Names for a "Death Star"

This topic is 979 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

No, no, it's just a generic SF.

Preferably I would use some technical name (Battle Station, Stellar Annihilator, Paradox Cube). Also, I look primarily/especially (but not only) for a name for a whole class of these ships. So the final name could be like "Colossus - Stellar Annihilator class vehicle".

Primarily, I want to get a "death star" feeling when the player sees the name of this ship/vehicle class (BTW: how to call this whole thing, it does not seem proper to call it "super ship"...)

Edited by Acharis

If it is a flying fortress (mostly about fat shields), then it would probably be something akin to Star Fortress or Bastion Class.
Yes, something like this, gimme more names like these:)

About the mechanic. The player will build traditional ships all the time, standard. But he can build ONE special superstation-ship-battlestar-fortress, it won't be that expensive (relatively), actually it would have better power to cost ratio than traditional ships (otherwise the player would not built it :D). It will be a special project, takes long to build (but does not drain that much resources) and once finished you, the emperor, have your cute powerful unique death star thingie :)

It would not be used to destroy planets (but it could have such capability), I want it rather a special-super unit. You send it to important battles or guard important choke points, it would be slow compared to ships.

It may not quite fit with what you have in mind, but I have always liked the names that Ian Banks used for ships in the Culture series. Even if they don't quite fit, I am sure you can get some inspriation from them smile.png

-Josh

Edited by jjd

If it is a flying fortress (mostly about fat shields), then it would probably be something akin to Star Fortress or Bastion Class.

Yes, something like this, gimme more names like these:}

[...]

As you wish:

Bastille Class, Citadel Command Station, Fortification Superheavy Battleship, Castle Control Plattform

That about runs my synonyms dry, but I can offer you some german translations if you find them to sound bulkier or heavier:

Bollwerk, Festung, Zwingburg (this one is a fortress built to control area)

German name : apply a bonus of +1 fear to any evil death machine :D

Have you thought about giving them unique names -- as in player defined -- rather than a generic descriptions or titles?  Naming it yourself after completing whatever tech it requires could make it more special and give it a certain je-ne-sais-quoi.  Granted, people will probably name it something silly, but it still might make it feel like their World Smashing Weapons Platform.  No one cares about Firefly model carriers, but everyone loves Serenity.

Mine would be called Cat Scratch Fever.  Or Squashinator.

Have you thought about giving them unique names -- as in player defined -- rather than a generic descriptions or titles?
I need some generic name, so I can put it in research (like "+10% to speed of Stellar Anihilator" construction). So I need a generic one there. But yeah, the player could give it the unique name as well.

The Empire built two death stars.
But the second was built after the first one was destroyed. So, historically, there was only one at the same time :)

The Empire built two death stars. 

Which was only to be mass-produced by ripoff games.

If there exists a possibility that even though it is a super weapon, two copies may exist at the same point in time, I would go along the lines of:

{unique name} + class + {purpose}

Alezandersmith class Assault Starbase

and casually refer to it as the 'Alezandersmith' 

(of course, the name should be more badass, like the Death Star, it should be tied to both space AND fear: Star and Death, respectively).

About the mechanic. The player will build traditional ships all the time, standard. But he can build ONE special superstation-ship-battlestar-fortress, it won't be that expensive (relatively), actually it would have better power to cost ratio than traditional ships (otherwise the player would not built it biggrin.png). It will be a special project, takes long to build (but does not drain that much resources) and once finished you, the emperor, have your cute powerful unique death star thingie smile.png

It would not be used to destroy planets (but it could have such capability), I want it rather a special-super unit. You send it to important battles or guard important choke points, it would be slow compared to ships.

This mechanic seems kind of like a queen in chess so maybe something down that line would be cool. Monarch or something like that? It also has nice mohership connotations as well!

This topic is 979 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.