• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Editor ate half of my journal entry

This topic is 1285 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

There I was, writing, editing, when It happened... I hit "save draft" button, and saw what was left of my entry. It ate half of it, maybe more.

 

I am not pleased. I am the opposite of pleased actually, to put it mildly. Where do I ask for 2 hours of my life back?

Edited by TheChubu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement

I'm still your friend man. And be angry to have wasted 2 hours of your life, go take a girl and have a nice night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had similar things happen with ordinary replies a couple of times in the past, is why I use a text editor for the editing when it's more than 3-4 lines, and copy/paste the complete stuff into here when it's written. Of course, another option would be to simply not write so much stuff... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely a pain in the ass - even moreso that the forum posts have an auto-save feature that for some reason didn't make its way into the blogging module of the software as well. A couple of times I've hit Backspace while the text window was out of focus (from uploading an image or doing something else outside it) and that cause the browser Back History function to trigger and bye-bye 30-90 minutes of work, at least.

 

However your issue sounds like a bug. So you had a large entry, went to save as draft and only part of the entry was actually saved? Can you reproduce this? Copy/past a large chunk of text and use the Save Draft to erase some of it? I just pasted nearly a thousand lines of text into an entry and it was all there when I saved it as a draft.

 

But yea, I tend to nowadays write everything up in a text editor then paste it over into the journal entry box. Just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However your issue sounds like a bug. So you had a large entry, went to save as draft and only part of the entry was actually saved? Can you reproduce this?

Nope. I thought it had something to do with the code tags but I can't seem to reproduce it.

 

In any case, as I said, I was saving and previewing regularly. Last one of those fckd up the whole entry but previous ones worked fine.

 

EDIT: See the entry, the entry got cut at the bottom of the code code block. Below the "initIfAbsent" code block there was a description of it, it cut that and everything below. The "and thats all you get" is something I added after the entry got fcked.

Edited by TheChubu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you recall exactly what you had typed in at that point where the entry broke? That's probably what did it, I recall similar issues on other forums and here in the past

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


do you recall exactly what you had typed in at that point where the entry broke?
You're asking too much for my brain to remember. Anyway, I think it might have been the 'code' tags. Not sure. As I said, the entry got cut right after one of them (albeit it was the first one, I had I think other 4 code snippets in code tags, with normal text descriptions below each one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What once happened to me when I tried to create internal html anchors was losing all my html tags on an article. I was trying to create a simple linked summary at the top for my yaml article at the time.
 
It was only months later I realized that it was the auto-processing of that first anchor that erased all my subsequent formatting. I think my problem was an xhtml self-closing anchor like this:

<a name="myAnchor" />

But never really tried to reproduce it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement