How to Make These Kind of Games (CGI/Text Based)

Started by
7 comments, last by smurf_killa1 22 years, 5 months ago
Hi there all, i''m a newb to game programming and stuff. I have this idea to create a CGI online text based game but I dont know where to start. Are there tutorials to making games or do I need to learn CGI in total before making it ? The type of game i''m making its like Utopia or Earth: 2025 (games.swirve.com/earth) I want to create a game like those, so what do i do ?
Jibby
Advertisement
Do a search on a search engine.
I''ve already tried that.
The purpose of this post was to see if anyone knows how to.
Does anyone know a site or something?
Jibby
Use PHP, MySQL, Apache, maybe a little bit of C and some good old fashioned text parsing and event handling and finite state machine ingenuity.
Why would you use CGI, given its resource intensiveness? (Every new CGI task spawns a new process). PHP OTOH executes in-proc and is thus less consumptive of server resources.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
If you use the apache module fast CGI then it''s pretty much same speed as PHP.
well, it would help if you understood how the game is like. But at any rate, to create that type of game, where should I start?
Read some CGI books? or PHP?
I dont want to end up reading a language that won''t even process this game, so please interpret your complex language so my little head can understand it lol!
Thanks...
Jibby
The Multiplayer and Network Programming forum would probably be a better place to discuss this than Game Design.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote:Original post by smurf_killa1
well, it would help if you understood how the game is like. But at any rate, to create that type of game, where should I start?
Read some CGI books? or PHP?
I dont want to end up reading a language that won''t even process this game, so please interpret your complex language so my little head can understand it lol!
Thanks...

CGI isn''t a language. It''s just a specific way to output so that web servers and broswers can read your output. If you already know C (or even perl of pascal or fortran or scheme or...) you can program CGI.

If not, I''d suggest you start with Sams''s ''Learn C++ in 21 days.''

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement