• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Urgent! Interview re-sheduling dilemma

This topic is 1283 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

Hopefully you can give me some advice on what I should do, or just give me food for thought.

 

So recently (an hour ago), telling me I have been selected for an interview at [Big/well known game company], and I should select a day/time I am available. I was over the moon. However, when I looked at the dates, my face fell. The only dates that where available are the days I am either Traveling too and or at Develop in Brighton conference (biggest game dev conference in uk). D:

 

 

If I select the earliest interview I will miss my train to Develop, and thus I will have to pay up to £200 on a new train ticket, not to mention waiting the money I spent for that day at Develop (which is quite expensive). 

 

I am debating calling them to see whether they have any earlier interview slots (which I doubt, as they provided me with a list). I also really want the job, and don't want to come off as not giving a crap by trying to re-schedule my interview to earlier/later date than they provided.

 

 

Any advise?

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement


I am debating calling them to see whether they have any earlier interview slots

 

Where's the debate?  The realistic worst case is they say no, you have to pick one of the slots provided.  It's not like you're going to lose the opportunity entirely.

 

There are ventures that can indeed result in a loss, but this one looks like it can only result in no change, or a gain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Thanks for the replies.

 

Just an update, I emailed them to see if a reschedule would be possible(I tried ringing, but no answer), and unfortunately it was not possible, and they said "We will put your application on hold and contact you should we reschedule any future interviews."

 

I half of me feels like saying " I have decided that I will miss a day at Develop and come to the Interview slot on [day/time] (the interview slot I previously selected), as I do not want to miss this opportunity." (maybe better words?)  and the other half feels like accepting the 'on hold' status as I do not want to make them think I am being arrogant (not the best word).

 

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll have to weigh it for yourself which opportunity you will trade away for the other. That depends on your situation -- what important bits of Develop might you miss, How keen are you on this interview, Will the interview give you good value regardless of whether you get the position (it may well), is it all worth the cost of switching out your train ticket?

 

I don't think its cut and dried, but I'd think quickly and carefully about the pros and cons, then make your choice and don't look back. If it were me, I'd completely ignore whatever fun you hope to have at Develop, and only consider the opportunities you'd be missing (e.g. particular speakers or events) and then consider if they can be missed -- often times speakers will have made the same presentations available online, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most companies will be fine with the fact you need to reschedule for a GOOD REASON.

What you've listed above sounds to me like a good reason, plus it's also part of your line of work (I'm assuming), so that's a plus.

Handle it like any other rescheduling you would, these are human beings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm actually surprised the company didn't work with you on this one; was the requested delay huge? In any case it sounds like you made your choice, so good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm actually surprised the company didn't work with you on this one; was the requested delay huge? In any case it sounds like you made your choice, so good luck.

No, I was flexible to any time they could suggest before or after interview, they said it was a tight recruitment deadline though.

 

---

 

Just an update, had the interview I *thought* it went well and went to (end of the)conference on that day. I also went to GI.biz summer party (was great) and I actually spoke to a guy that worked there. He wasn't in the same department but offered to put in a word for me with the people in the right department (although I couldn't remember my interviewers name *facepalm* ).  

 

Anyway it will be a week tomorrow and still not a word :( seemingly unlikely I got the job. Got to live in hope though I guess...

 

Thanks for the suggestions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of whether you got the job, it sounds like you did everything right and made the best out of an imperfect situation. You had some valuable experiences and even if you end up not getting a callback, the industry is small and people absolutely will remember that you handled things gracefully. It sounds like it should all reflect well on you.

 

Continued good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Yeah I'm actually surprised the company didn't work with you on this one; was the requested delay huge? In any case it sounds like you made your choice, so good luck.

No, I was flexible to any time they could suggest before or after interview, they said it was a tight recruitment deadline though.

 

---

 

Just an update, had the interview I *thought* it went well and went to (end of the)conference on that day. I also went to GI.biz summer party (was great) and I actually spoke to a guy that worked there. He wasn't in the same department but offered to put in a word for me with the people in the right department (although I couldn't remember my interviewers name *facepalm* ).  

 

Anyway it will be a week tomorrow and still not a word sad.png seemingly unlikely I got the job. Got to live in hope though I guess...

 

Thanks for the suggestions!

 

 

Not to give you a sense of false hope, but a lot of the time employers have to to go through a whole set of canidates, and often still need to figure out headcount and other things, all this can draw out along several weeks, so dont look too much into not hearing back if you did an interview within the first week.

 

At any rate, I would send a followup email and inquire about your status. (I would continue to follow up once a week until you get a definitive answer from them)

 

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Not to give you a sense of false hope, but a lot of the time employers have to to go through a whole set of canidates, and often still need to figure out headcount and other things, all this can draw out along several weeks, so dont look too much into not hearing back if you did an interview within the first week.

 

At any rate, I would send a followup email and inquire about your status. (I would continue to follow up once a week until you get a definitive answer from them)

 

Good Luck!

 

 

 

Regardless of whether you got the job, it sounds like you did everything right and made the best out of an imperfect situation. You had some valuable experiences and even if you end up not getting a callback, the industry is small and people absolutely will remember that you handled things gracefully. It sounds like it should all reflect well on you.

 

Continued good luck.

 ty for the kind (and motivational) words :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement