• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Urgent! Interview re-sheduling dilemma

This topic is 1373 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

Hopefully you can give me some advice on what I should do, or just give me food for thought.

So recently (an hour ago), telling me I have been selected for an interview at [Big/well known game company], and I should select a day/time I am available. I was over the moon. However, when I looked at the dates, my face fell. The only dates that where available are the days I am either Traveling too and or at Develop in Brighton conference (biggest game dev conference in uk). D:

If I select the earliest interview I will miss my train to Develop, and thus I will have to pay up to £200 on a new train ticket, not to mention waiting the money I spent for that day at Develop (which is quite expensive). 

I am debating calling them to see whether they have any earlier interview slots (which I doubt, as they provided me with a list). I also really want the job, and don't want to come off as not giving a crap by trying to re-schedule my interview to earlier/later date than they provided.

Any advise?

Advertisement

I am debating calling them to see whether they have any earlier interview slots

Where's the debate?  The realistic worst case is they say no, you have to pick one of the slots provided.  It's not like you're going to lose the opportunity entirely.

There are ventures that can indeed result in a loss, but this one looks like it can only result in no change, or a gain.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Just an update, I emailed them to see if a reschedule would be possible(I tried ringing, but no answer), and unfortunately it was not possible, and they said "We will put your application on hold and contact you should we reschedule any future interviews."

I half of me feels like saying " I have decided that I will miss a day at Develop and come to the Interview slot on [day/time] (the interview slot I previously selected), as I do not want to miss this opportunity." (maybe better words?)  and the other half feels like accepting the 'on hold' status as I do not want to make them think I am being arrogant (not the best word).

Thoughts?

You'll have to weigh it for yourself which opportunity you will trade away for the other. That depends on your situation -- what important bits of Develop might you miss, How keen are you on this interview, Will the interview give you good value regardless of whether you get the position (it may well), is it all worth the cost of switching out your train ticket?

I don't think its cut and dried, but I'd think quickly and carefully about the pros and cons, then make your choice and don't look back. If it were me, I'd completely ignore whatever fun you hope to have at Develop, and only consider the opportunities you'd be missing (e.g. particular speakers or events) and then consider if they can be missed -- often times speakers will have made the same presentations available online, for example.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement