Urgent! Interview re-sheduling dilemma

Started by
15 comments, last by GoCatGoGames 9 years, 9 months ago

Hello,

Hopefully you can give me some advice on what I should do, or just give me food for thought.

So recently (an hour ago), telling me I have been selected for an interview at [Big/well known game company], and I should select a day/time I am available. I was over the moon. However, when I looked at the dates, my face fell. The only dates that where available are the days I am either Traveling too and or at Develop in Brighton conference (biggest game dev conference in uk). D:

If I select the earliest interview I will miss my train to Develop, and thus I will have to pay up to £200 on a new train ticket, not to mention waiting the money I spent for that day at Develop (which is quite expensive).

I am debating calling them to see whether they have any earlier interview slots (which I doubt, as they provided me with a list). I also really want the job, and don't want to come off as not giving a crap by trying to re-schedule my interview to earlier/later date than they provided.

Any advise?

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

Advertisement
Call them and reschedule? Say you are going to develop. They want to interview you so they will be flexible.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Take the interview and a shot at getting the job. Conferences will keep on coming all the time.

Tell them you're going to Develop and ask them if they can work around that.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I am debating calling them to see whether they have any earlier interview slots

Where's the debate? The realistic worst case is they say no, you have to pick one of the slots provided. It's not like you're going to lose the opportunity entirely.

There are ventures that can indeed result in a loss, but this one looks like it can only result in no change, or a gain.

Definitely call and ask about the possibility of rescheduling. Be sure to tell them you've already made plans to attend Develop during that time -- In fact, say 'the Develop Brigthon game dev conference" because you may well be speaking to a receptionist or personal assistant-type, and you want to make sure its not lost in translation that this is something you're doing to grow professionally, and not just turning them down for a day at the beach.

In actuality, it might even be that they're sending staff to the conference themselves to present or scout talent. It's not at all uncommon that they might conduct interviews with individuals at the conference. You might even ask if they plan to do this, and if you could get an interview slot there. Keep in mind though, that those kinds of interviews are brief and are more of a 'lets get this guy off the show floor and see if he's someone we want to interview seriously' kind of thing, and if they're already bringing you in for a deeper interview you may only stand to lose out by 'interviewing' with them at the show, so consider your options carefully if they give you the choice to reschedule or to interview at the show.

If they do have staff at the show, *and* you ran reschedule your on-premises interview for after the convention, do make it a point to meet and introduce yourself to them. Just politely approach them and say "Hi I'm so-and-so, I'm glad to see you here, I'm interviewing with your company next week." and see where the conversation takes you. It never hurts to make your face known, and being at the show will probably even earn you a brownie-point or two -- it certainly won't hurt your case as long as you don't overstay your welcome with them.

If they absolutely can't reschedule and don't have staff at the conference you can interview with, then you might have to miss the conference or eat the cost of an adjusted train ticket, but its highly likely they'll be accommodating and you can cross that bridge when you get there.

Don't sweat any of it though. I see no downsides here.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

And good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Just an update, I emailed them to see if a reschedule would be possible(I tried ringing, but no answer), and unfortunately it was not possible, and they said "We will put your application on hold and contact you should we reschedule any future interviews."

I half of me feels like saying " I have decided that I will miss a day at Develop and come to the Interview slot on [day/time] (the interview slot I previously selected), as I do not want to miss this opportunity." (maybe better words?) and the other half feels like accepting the 'on hold' status as I do not want to make them think I am being arrogant (not the best word).

Thoughts?

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

Got the previous interview back :)

You'll have to weigh it for yourself which opportunity you will trade away for the other. That depends on your situation -- what important bits of Develop might you miss, How keen are you on this interview, Will the interview give you good value regardless of whether you get the position (it may well), is it all worth the cost of switching out your train ticket?

I don't think its cut and dried, but I'd think quickly and carefully about the pros and cons, then make your choice and don't look back. If it were me, I'd completely ignore whatever fun you hope to have at Develop, and only consider the opportunities you'd be missing (e.g. particular speakers or events) and then consider if they can be missed -- often times speakers will have made the same presentations available online, for example.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement