devdlg

Started by
2 comments, last by jevdsnny 22 years, 5 months ago
Is there any way to get rid of the first splash screen and just set some default values or read them from a file? Most commercial games do not ask you for options each time, they just launch into the intro/login screen: Unreal, Everquest, Asherons Call, Anachronox, Baldurs Gate- I can''t think of one game that puts up a dialog every time you start it asking you to select the video settings, plus it''s just annoying to the user. I realize that this window handle and the associated settings are integral to the framework, but there should be some way to set these things from an .ini file and just launch into the game.
Advertisement
Look at the code from any of the windowed utilities. They simply destroy the dialog immediately and return with the default values.

Instead could search for a config file and read the values from there, and if the config file doesn''t exist show the dialog and save the values.
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)
Chris,

I am planning to add this setup file feature into my projects in order to be able to have either default values in a text or ini file (for quick debugging) or use a separate setup tool to save the user preferences and system.

Are you going to implement that in future releases?
If not, I''d be pleased to give you the code I use to handle this feature so other users can beneficiate.

Amadrias
France
#define HIDE_DIALOG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement