• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
koholint

OpenGL opengl camera direction calculation for lookat

This topic is 1507 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

static float xrot{},yrot{};
int x{},y{};

SDL_GetRelativeMouseState(&x,&y);
xrot+=x/100.0f;
yrot+=y/100.0f;

if(xrot>360.0f)
	xrot-=360.0f;

if(yrot>360.0f)
	yrot-=360.0f;

if(xrot<-360.0f)
	xrot+=360.0f;

if(yrot<-360.0f)
	yrot+=360.0f;
std::stack<mat4> modelview;
modelview.push(mat4(1.0f));

glm::vec3 front=vec3{1.0f,0.0f,0.0f};
modelview.top()*=lookAt(vec3{0.0f,0.0f,0.0f},front,vec3{0.0f,1.0f,0.0f});
modelview.top()*=rotate(xrot,vec3{0.0f,1.0f,0.0f});
modelview.top()*=rotate(yrot,vec3{1.0f,0.0f,0.0f}); //if I comment this line then x rotation works.

//Upload projection matrix
program->projectionMatrix(projection);

for(auto entity: entities) {
	modelview.push(modelview.top());
	modelview.top()*=translate(entity.position);

//Upload modelview matrix
	program->modelviewMatrix(modelview.top());

for(auto m: models)
		if(m->getName()==entity.modelName)
			m->render(program->getId());

modelview.pop();
}

I have gone through several tutorials but none seem to show how to do the front direction calculation compatible with GLM. I have really tried to get the problem here... xrot and yrot are in 360 degrees space.

why does x rotation work when I comment the y rotation line? how do I calculate direction for use with lookat?

I know this might come off as a stupid thread for a first post from a user when I should probably read the tutorials again. But I just cannot seem to adapt it to my code.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by koholint

Advertisement

The way i'm doing lookat for my camera:

void Camera::update()
{
	double sinAlfa = glm::sin(m_alfa * DAG2RAD);
	double sinBeta = glm::sin(m_beta * DAG2RAD);
	double cosAlfa = glm::cos(m_alfa * DAG2RAD);
	double cosBeta = glm::cos(m_beta * DAG2RAD);

m_viewMatrix = glm::lookAt( m_position, glm::vec3(m_position.x + sinAlfa*cosBeta, m_position.y - sinBeta, m_position.z - cosAlfa*cosBeta), glm::vec3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f));
}

just counting sin and cos function for each of angles of your camera, and with little math you can count point your camera is looking at. DAG2RAD is just pi/180 to convert my angle to radiants. I dont know if it solves your problem, but i hope it will help.

The way i'm doing lookat for my camera:

void Camera::update()
{
	double sinAlfa = glm::sin(m_alfa * DAG2RAD);
	double sinBeta = glm::sin(m_beta * DAG2RAD);
	double cosAlfa = glm::cos(m_alfa * DAG2RAD);
	double cosBeta = glm::cos(m_beta * DAG2RAD);

m_viewMatrix = glm::lookAt( m_position, glm::vec3(m_position.x + sinAlfa*cosBeta, m_position.y - sinBeta, m_position.z - cosAlfa*cosBeta), glm::vec3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f));
}

just counting sin and cos function for each of angles of your camera, and with little math you can count point your camera is looking at. DAG2RAD is just pi/180 to convert my angle to radiants. I dont know if it solves your problem, but i hope it will help.

Thank you!

There was also a bug in my second code snippet on line 14. I have edited it for people wanting to use the code. it used to read modelview.top()*=translate(modelview.top(),entity.position);

Also, since you're using glm, you could use glm::radians to convert degrees to radians.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!