• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mtimjones

Simple 2D Terrain Generation (ASCII-based)

This topic is 1590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been experimenting with terrain generation and have developed a couple of simple algorithms to build 2D maps.  I'm curious what other's use?

The two approaches are cellular automata based, where the terrain is seeded and then the CA averages the seeds over the space.  The first algorithm supports three types of objects in the terrain since it is value based (< 0, == 0, > 0).  The second algorithm maintains seed types in the space, and does not allow the seeds to intermix.  

The first algorithm looks like more believable terrain, but the second is more generalized (but needs more work to create more random formations).  You can find the code (for Linux) through the link below.

https://code.google.com/p/2dgen/

Anyone else develop algorithms like this?  What approach do you use?

Thanks,

Tim.

Advertisement

I find very useful particle deposition for wilderness. I have a journal entry on the subject. 

I am managing to make it work for forests and caves also, using with A* to generate connections.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!