Game Engine

Started by
4 comments, last by mahri726 9 years, 9 months ago

I'm a beginner and looking for a game engine which takes that into consideration but also provides the best resources to create what I need

I want to make fps games and hopefully move on after that. Not looking to strike big and I will be putting in a lot of hard work.

But what engine should I use that has the resources, community, ease of use and of course one that strikes my genre the best.

I've heard many things about UDK, Unity, Cryengine and Unreal engine but most of those posts are years old and I want to know currently what is the best for a beginner such as myself.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, and any help is greatly appreciated

Advertisement

A lot of people seem to like Unity. It has lots of tutorials, so it might be a good place to start.

If you don't like it, try another one until you find something you do like. Don't dismiss it too quickly though, put a bit of effort into getting to know it.

Hi,

I would say go with Unity because it's free and have a very good community.

Free version lacks some advanced features but try it out and see for yourself do you have what it takes to get that idea out.

It's also very easy to learn and use.

A lot of people seem to like Unity. It has lots of tutorials, so it might be a good place to start.

If you don't like it, try another one until you find something you do like. Don't dismiss it too quickly though, put a bit of effort into getting to know it.

Hi,

I would say go with Unity because it's free and have a very good community.

Free version lacks some advanced features but try it out and see for yourself do you have what it takes to get that idea out.

It's also very easy to learn and use.

Okay, thanks I'll check and try it out.

Unity is a great choice; it is a very flexible engine (catering natively for both 2D and 3D games) and is pretty powerful at the same time. Also, it allows you to carry over your existing knowledge of C# or Javascript. However, I do advise that you have a good working knowledge of those languages before you dive into Unity. But for an FPS, it would be great; there also exist many fantastic tutorials littered about the interwebs for you to learn from. But, if you would take advice from a fellow beginner: don't start at the top, with your FPS. Start low. Start by making a rehash of Pong, then a replica of Super Mario, then start to move up to making an FPS. A good way to get started, that has worked quite well for me, is using Game Maker. It is a primarily 2D engine that is very easy to get the hang of. It allows you to build up experience in actually MAKING a game, ie. the process of coming up with an idea, refining it, getting the core game loop down, expanding on that, fixing bugs, and publishing it. All within a platform that can be very code-light.

I personally started with Game Maker, and made a sort-of Pacman clone, then a Space Invaders style game, then moved on to using Unity. Of course, this may not work entirely for you, but it is just an idea for you to roll with. As for the other engines you mention; I haven't worked with either of them, but I have heard good things about them. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what engine you use, just that you find one you like, get used to it, and start making those games!
If you want to make a FPS, you could go with Unreal Engine 4. You don't need to know C programming to make games with it. You can do all with Blueprints. If you subscribe for a month, you get the engine, the source+ a lot of assets, from demo scenes. After your sub expires, the only things you won't receive are updates and new content. You keep the engine and all the resources avabile at the time of your sub.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement