Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Squirrel

shading???

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
???

Sorry, I don''t understand your question... What do you mean by ''shading on shapes'', and what is a ''light fog'' ?

- AH

Squirrel    122
I ment shading as in this: let''s say I make any shape. A cube for example. On the sides that I''m seeing at a diffrent angle, it would be darker but the color would not have to be changed. So if it moves, the shading changes. I''m sure there must be a way. And as in fog, I ment something like the farder an object is, the less you can see it. Hope this clarifies things more. Thanks

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
OK, I got it I already thought that you were talking about some of those new and arcane GF3-only effects using tons of pixel-shaders...

What you mean by shading on shapes is simply called ''lighting'' in OpenGL Eg. you put a lightsource infront of a cube and the cube rotates, then the incident light will automatically calculated.

And about the fog thing: What you want is simple linear/exponential fog, a very basic OpenGL operation.

I suggest you take a look at nehe.gamedev.net, you will find very good OpenGL tutorials explaining all this from the beginning on in very understandable form (including the commonly used OpenGL and computer graphics terms).

- AH