• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gorogorosama

Another word for "Spells" or "Blessings"

This topic is 1474 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! Hopefully there are some talented wordsmiths lurking about.

In my game you play a deity ruling over a kingdom of mortals, and of course fighting off other deities and their own kingdoms. I'm trying to find another word for "Spells", referring to all your Godly powers like providing a bountiful harvest, boosting up your troops, etc.

"Spells" feels too wizardly. And Blessings would be great except there are also things you cast on enemies like Curses, (crumbling your enemies' walls or making them get lost in the desert for 40 turns) so ideally one word that could summarize both of those.

If that wasn't hard enough, it needs to fit on the HUD, so can't be any longer than Blessings.

Thanks in advance for any ideas! If I use your suggestion I'll tweet about your game! (to all 5 of my followers)

Edited by gorogorosama

Advertisement

Powers seems quite good to me.

Also, why don't you simply separate them on two categories, for instance blessings and plagues?

Edited by KnolanCross

Powers seems quite good to me.

Also, why don't you simply separate them on two categories, for instance blessings and plagues?

exactly what knolan said, put two sub categories. Your interaction with your own people as blessings and interaction with the enemy as curses. Then just make the main category encompass the two. For example, chants as lenny said or even prayers (prayers can encompass both bad and good, however they also imply you're worshipped which may or may not work in your favour).

I like the aforementioned 'miracles', 'interventions', and 'powers', as well as the blessings/curses subdivisions.

Additionally: 'Signs'

Also, 'judgements'. While we usually give that word a negative connotation, in the Bible 'judgement' is used as a word to either negatively or positively give someone what they deserve.

Thematically, it might work well. You could subbranch it to 'Rewards' and 'Punishments'.

Thanks! We'll probably decide on it tomorrow.

Personally I'm liking miracles, powers, and wonders, 

We really need to stick to one button though (instead of separating Blessings and Curses). There simply aren't enough Curses to justify its own button on the HUD. That's valuable real-estate!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!