Another word for "Spells" or "Blessings"

Started by
16 comments, last by JohnnyCode 9 years, 6 months ago

Hello! Hopefully there are some talented wordsmiths lurking about.

In my game you play a deity ruling over a kingdom of mortals, and of course fighting off other deities and their own kingdoms. I'm trying to find another word for "Spells", referring to all your Godly powers like providing a bountiful harvest, boosting up your troops, etc.

"Spells" feels too wizardly. And Blessings would be great except there are also things you cast on enemies like Curses, (crumbling your enemies' walls or making them get lost in the desert for 40 turns) so ideally one word that could summarize both of those.

If that wasn't hard enough, it needs to fit on the HUD, so can't be any longer than Blessings.

Thanks in advance for any ideas! If I use your suggestion I'll tweet about your game! (to all 5 of my followers)

Advertisement

Chants?

miracles, wonders, interventions

Powers seems quite good to me.

Also, why don't you simply separate them on two categories, for instance blessings and plagues?

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

Powers seems quite good to me.

Also, why don't you simply separate them on two categories, for instance blessings and plagues?

exactly what knolan said, put two sub categories. Your interaction with your own people as blessings and interaction with the enemy as curses. Then just make the main category encompass the two. For example, chants as lenny said or even prayers (prayers can encompass both bad and good, however they also imply you're worshipped which may or may not work in your favour).

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

miracles, wonders

Either of these would definitely be a neutral term that you could use while having internal blessing/curse(or plague) terms.

willnationsdev - Godot Engine Contributor

I like the aforementioned 'miracles', 'interventions', and 'powers', as well as the blessings/curses subdivisions.

Additionally: 'Signs'

Also, 'judgements'. While we usually give that word a negative connotation, in the Bible 'judgement' is used as a word to either negatively or positively give someone what they deserve.

Thematically, it might work well. You could subbranch it to 'Rewards' and 'Punishments'.

Act of God

Thanks! We'll probably decide on it tomorrow.

Personally I'm liking miracles, powers, and wonders,

We really need to stick to one button though (instead of separating Blessings and Curses). There simply aren't enough Curses to justify its own button on the HUD. That's valuable real-estate!

Charms or Auras could also work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement