Seinfeld on debuggers

Started by
6 comments, last by jbadams 9 years, 9 months ago
What's the deal with all the debugger propaganda?
And why is there so much of it?

seinfeld_on_stage.png

You have a problem with a software rasterizer, you see.
And you know those types of people writing their own rasterizers; they're the kind of people that like to take a hot iron to their own flesh for fun.

Anyways, you have this problem. You go to gamedev with a thread and you ask a very simple question. A simple question that even a child could answer. A code dump and a "why isn't this working?".

And then comes the first reply: "Have you checked your debugger?"
Oh boy, here we go. They've really done it now.

tumblr_m82zefPo6w1rbmr0lo1_1280.png

Who are you to tell me what tools to use?
How do you know that a debugger didn't killed my father? Hmm?
And why is everyone but me so blinded to the truth?

And then comes the next reply: "Have you done any basic research?"
Oh boy, now they've really dug their own grave.
It's like they don't even read the code. The optymizations should be proof enough that I've done all the research I can.

And that's why there's all this debugger propaganda.

This thread is dedicated to my all time favorite member of gamedev: Seinfeld.
Advertisement

Upvote for Senfield.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

????? (5/5 stars)

Would read thread again.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This thread has been modified from its original version. It has been optymized to fit this screen.

1.gif

(...)

If you want send anyone to google and docs (often overcomplex) you could close the forum right away - becouse roughly anything can be found there, so what is the reason of asking here - ban everybody, redirect them all to big G.

Forum is for talking, for some googling is better for some talking is better Imo the approah of googling and asking at the same time is quite good methodology (mostly i will some answers by googling and thinking and also get some hints from forum and that is okay)

- more silly imo are pseudoanswers that are build such way: "well i cannot answer to you specyfic question becouse i do not know to much about it I am also not interesyed in it but will produce 20 fake lines of text absolutely empty of something meaningfull and helpfull and maybe i will only suggest you that you should not ask for hints (becouse i do not balive if someone will answer you [regardless to some proofs that often some other persons gave quite ontopic hints]) and only gave you a command to go to the documentation etc etc - 20-30 lines of word foam - for sure nothing ontopic and helpfull]

..and then i hear that i am so ungratefull that 4 men killed himself and one amputated his legs with a chainsaw..;/

ps. i really not get what is a problem here (with asking topics etc, for me this is all false not existing problems) also really probably got not to much time to going out of topic here, there was already to much of it, I just prefer to focus on regular coding stuff (without debugger)

(...)

If you want send anyone to google and docs (often overcomplex) you could close the forum right away - becouse roughly anything can be found there, so what is the reason of asking here - ban everybody, redirect them all to big G.

Forum is for talking, for some googling is better for some talking is better

imo the approah of googling and asking at the same time is quite good

methodology (mostly i will some answers by googling and thinking and

also get some hints from forum and that is okay)

- more silly imo are pseudoanswers that are build such way: "well i cannot answer to you specyfic question becouse i do not know to much about it I am also not interesyed in it but will produce 20 fake lines of text absolutely empty of something meaningfull and helpfull and maybe i will only suggest you that you should not ask for hints (becouse i do not balive if someone will answer you [regardless to some proofs that often some other persons gave quite ontopic hints]) and only gave you a command to go to the documentation etc etc - 20-30 lines of word foam]

..and then i hear that i am so ungratefull that 4 men killed himself and one amputated his legs with a chainsaw..;/

What are you on and can I have some?

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Ok guys, a bit of light humour is nice, but not at another member's expense if they're not in on the joke. Topic closed, and posting disabled for "Seinfeld".

more silly imo are pseudoanswers that are build such way: "well i cannot answer to you specyfic question becouse i do not know to much about it I am also not interesyed in it but will produce 20 fake lines of text absolutely empty of something meaningfull and helpfull

You need to stop rambling about "pseudo answers" and "propaganda" in all of your topics. Almost all of them are actually correct and on-topic answers -- if you don't appreciate them just ignore them and don't post yet another lengthy rant that usually results in your own discussion going off topic and being closed.

You're on thin ice fir -- you have been issued a number of warnings both formally and informally, and you will be removed if you are unable to behave appropriately -- all that's been asked of you is that you maintain some basic manners and do your own basic research.

I just prefer to focus on regular coding stuff (without debugger)

Using a debugger is a basic programming skill. You're only doing yourself a huge disservice by refusing to put in the time -- only a couple of hours! -- to learn how to use a debugger, and a great many of your the problems you have asked about can be quickly and easily solved with only a minute or two of using a debugger.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement