Need advice please with game making

Started by
9 comments, last by GameDesign14 9 years, 9 months ago

Hi , hope you undestand my english.

The reason...

I would like to become a videogame developer, i actually play videogames since im 3 year-old (back in those days, i play commander keen, duke nukem, biomenace, Apogees games biggrin.png ) and is something i love and i would like to do, right now im 15 years old and everytime i tell someone i want to become a game developer they answer whit: "Why dont you study game dev. when you grow up?". But i dont want to wait for being like 18 years-old to start learning or making videogames, my goal right now is to make at least a beta of a videogame before i get 16 years-old. And thats why im here biggrin.png

Goals...

My goal is a simply 3D game, with graphics like pokemon black/white or Zelda Hourglass Phantom, right now i dont really have an objetive, a good start would be to create an enviroment (maybe a room or a yard) and a character who i can control.

But before...

I know, i need to sart with the basics, i want to do a pacman clone before or a pong clone, but i dont know how. Right now i know the C++ basics (input, output, arrays, pointers),but the only thing i know how to do is to print in the console sad.png

So i know the basics, how can i use them, i dont know how to create a simply 2D game like pong or pacman.

Can you recommend me tutorials for how to do a simply 2D game, whit libraries and everything? so i can start

I have already tried game maker, and i got it.

And then...

And after all that, i would like to start the 3D game, i have the idea that using opengl and SDL libraries is enought, so am i ok? is that enought, or... do i need more?

Also, can you recommend tutorials for a 3D game like i want to do? pleaseee....

Or if someone have experience, as you can see i have lots of questions, so if someone can help with the questions, like a tutor...

Thanks biggrin.png

Advertisement

The reason...

I would like to become a videogame developer, i actually play videogames since im 3 year-old (back in those days, i play commander keen, duke nukem, biomenace, Apogees games biggrin.png ) and is something i love and i would like to do, right now im 15 years old and everytime i tell someone i want to become a game developer they answer whit: "Why dont you study game dev. when you grow up?". But i dont want to wait for being like 18 years-old to start learning or making videogames, my goal right now is to make at least a beta of a videogame before i get 16 years-old. And thats why im here biggrin.png

Goals...

My goal is a simply 3D game, with graphics like pokemon black/white or Zelda Hourglass Phantom, right now i dont really have an objetive, a good start would be to create an enviroment (maybe a room or a yard) and a character who i can control.

But before...

I know, i need to sart with the basics, i want to do a pacman clone before or a pong clone, but i dont know how. Right now i know the C++ basics (input, output, arrays, pointers),but the only thing i know how to do is to print in the console sad.png

So i know the basics, how can i use them, i dont know how to create a simply 2D game like pong or pacman.

Can you recommend me tutorials for how to do a simply 2D game, whit libraries and everything? so i can start

And then...

And after all that, i would like to start the 3D game, i have the idea that using opengl and SDL libraries is enought, so am i ok? is that enought, or... do i need more?

Or if someone have experience, as you can see i have lots of questions, so if someone can help with the questions, like a tutor...

Thanks biggrin.png

Hello Fal,

I would recommend going to code academy and learning basic javascript writing and using the unity engine. You can create 2D and 3D games and it does not cost anything, the only catch to it is if you plan to use it to make money at some point you have to upgrade to the pro version, but only if you make more than $100,000 with it, but if your just using it for educational purpose you are perfectly fine. Unity does not use C++. It uses Javascript, and C#( C Sharp), and a few other languages. It was the game engine used to create the popular game angry birds. You could probably find some great 2D/3D game making video tutorials if you look on youtube to help you along.

If Unity is to new for what your looking for, if you can invest some money i would recommend DarkBasic by thegamecreators. Its free to use engine for the single home user only, and there is a book to go along with it for i believe $40 USD. Just bare in mind you will need to use Blender to create your character models and animate and rig them for the engine, Blender is free to use under the GPL(general public license). Just let me give you a word of advice if you ever plan to use any engine to make money before you turn 18 make sure your parents read the terms and license agreements so you don't get yourself in trouble.

You seem to be on the right track. I love how you want to start learning now and seem to have realistic expectations.

Are you more interested in the technical side of things? Or do you have game ideas you want to bring to life? I enjoy the technical aspect, so I have spent a lot of time writing my own engines and putting way more work into a game then necessary. If you want to make your game ideas come to life, then use an engine, like Unity.

With either approach my advice is this. Pick a small think you don't know how to do, and make a simple program demonstrating how to use it. The first time you try do draw an image to the screen shouldn't be in a game project. Just create a c++ project where the whole point of it is to draw an image to the screen using SDL. Then try and move the image around the screen each frame. Then focus on reading input, then combine the input with the image drawing and your little experiments will start to look like a game. Keep making manageable steps and eventually you will find yourself to be a competent game developer. Keep in mind patience, this kind of thing takes time.

My current game project Platform RPG

they answer whit: "Why dont you study game dev. when you grow up?".

Slap those idiots in their respective faces.
The younger you are the better you learn. Only a moron would ever suggest postponing any form of learning.

For diving into 2D, I would rather suggest you take a more hands-on approach than going through Unity or any engines. At 15, this is when you need to be doing the more hardcore learning, and trust me your brain can handle it (actually, this is when it’s designed to handle it, so this is really your only chance to take advantage of that—miss it and look forward to an uphill battle from then on).

After learning C++, it took me all of 2 days to learn C# and get a window with an image all from scratch.
In a week total I had my first C# application: A multiplayer Tetris clone with AI.
Trying to take C++ to the point where you have Direct3D running with images you loaded etc. is not worth it for a Pong or Pacman clone, and later you can apply C# to Unity when the day finally comes that you should switch to an engine.

When you are ready to move into 3D, you should be asking what to do when the time comes.
It depends on how young you still are and other factors that may easily change between now and then.
If you are still young I would recommend sticking with raw Direct3D (not OpenGL unless you have no choice). Again, take advantage of your age and do things that others here will try to tell you is “too difficult for a beginner”. It’s not. It was for them because they waited until they were older to start learning.

The industry is saturated with people who have experience with engines such as Unity.
Being able to show from-scratch work is much more impressive to an employer. Just spending your life in Unity means you have no real idea how everything inside is working, and if a company wants a person like that it certainly has plenty of choices.

Take advantage of your age now and aim to stand out in the future.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

The reason...

Goals...

But before...

And then...

Thanks biggrin.png

May i also add there is another great website called "WorldofLevelDesign" it is a really great site with tips on level designing. And you get two free E Books. i have not really used this site much. But i have checked out the Ebooks before and it is worth checking out. One of the books is a short book and then there is another book that talks about game environments it is a 50+ page book!

The younger you are the better you learn. Only a moron would ever suggest postponing any form of learning.

For diving into 2D, I would rather suggest you take a more hands-on approach than going through Unity or any engines. At 15, this is when you need to be doing the more hardcore learning, and trust me your brain can handle it (actually, this is when it’s designed to handle it, so this is really your only chance to take advantage of that—miss it and look forward to an uphill battle from then on).

After learning C++, it took me all of 2 days to learn C# and get a window with an image all from scratch.
In a week total I had my first C# application: A multiplayer Tetris clone with AI.
Trying to take C++ to the point where you have Direct3D running with images you loaded etc. is not worth it for a Pong or Pacman clone, and later you can apply C# to Unity when the day finally comes that you should switch to an engine.

When you are ready to move into 3D, you should be asking what to do when the time comes.
It depends on how young you still are and other factors that may easily change between now and then.
If you are still young I would recommend sticking with raw Direct3D (not OpenGL unless you have no choice). Again, take advantage of your age and do things that others here will try to tell you is “too difficult for a beginner”. It’s not. It was for them because they waited until they were older to start learning.

The industry is saturated with people who have experience with engines such as Unity.
Being able to show from-scratch work is much more impressive to an employer. Just spending your life in Unity means you have no real idea how everything inside is working, and if a company wants a person like that it certainly has plenty of choices.

L. Spiro

Wow, first post I see in the forum and you made my day. You motivated me a lot.
Thanks, I feel really noob, and all seems so dificult, a game has so many classes and designs that making a game seems impossible, but you make it look so achievable...
Really, thanks a lot.
And fal I'm in the same path, well, I'm 19 xD But maybe we can talk and share experiences.
Sorry if my english is bad, I'm spanish native.
Thanks again.
Leoxs

L. Spiro

Wow, first post I see in the forum and you made my day. You motivated me a lot.
Thanks, I feel really noob, and all seems so dificult, a game has so many classes and designs that making a game seems impossible, but you make it look so achievable...
Really, thanks a lot.
And fal I'm in the same path, well, I'm 19 xD But maybe we can talk and share experiences.
Sorry if my english is bad, I'm spanish native.
Thanks again.
Leoxs

Hello friends! Really happy to see people coming out as an underage uber-beginner. lightens things up a bit.

I'm actually only 14 myself. I want to become a game dev because... games are cool?

Anyways, I'm going to start polishing up Javascript and learning how to make "canvas-games" from this site. Still trying to stay away from Unity because I don't know how sh*t works yet, but I will get there eventually.

http://www.lostdecadegames.com/how-to-make-a-simple-html5-canvas-game/

I think it'll be really helpful if we all got into one group chat and gave regular updates about our education. Kinda like group study yknow?

L. Spiro

I did not know the industry was saturated with engine junkies. I should work from scratch too and teach myself to write stuff during college on the side when i go in October!

Well if i were you i would start learning C# with Xna or Monogame in case you want cross-platform or if you preffer Java go for Libgdx because its super cross-platform.You will find lots of tutorials on YouTube for these two frameworks! Good luck,you`ll need it!

Wow... same age as me, even both of us were learning the same programming language...

Anyway,

Unity does not use C++.

Unity does support users using C++, but ONLY FOR UNITY PRO USERS.
A C++ programming beginner from Malaysia.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement