Computers of the future

Started by
42 comments, last by Agincourt 22 years, 5 months ago
BTW, I also did some research in WIRED magazine. Seems like some hotshot scientist found a way to send a signal through the magnetic field around a power line. Essentially ignoring previous problems of power line transmition aka transformers stepping down voltage and killing the signal. I don't have the article in front of me (left it at home) But i think it quoted estimates of a bandwidth around 2gb/s to each home. Now that'd be a technology revolution i'd like to see. And it seems likely since we already have a power grid and the article said not much equipment upgrade is required. If anyone has the mag(latest one) and would like to double check me on the bandwidth number, please do so. I'd hate to have to lie to my class. lol.

Use the WriteCoolGame() function
Works every time

Edited by - Agincourt on November 5, 2001 6:24:43 PM
Use the WriteCoolGame() functionWorks every time
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Mayrel
And for mice? They're great. It's not very hard to click on a link or folder.

It's easier to tap on a link or folder.

Ah, but touchscreens are horrible for dragging, as I found when I had to operate a WinNT box using one (no mouse). My finger kept sticking to the screen because I had to press to hold onto the files I was dragging. I coulda really done with some lubricant

And I kept trying to use my middle finger on the screen... (right mouse button )

EDIT: Messed up the quote tags...badly...

Edited by - Krunk on November 5, 2001 7:16:05 PM

Edited by - Krunk on November 5, 2001 7:19:53 PM
well, one thing that would be fun to have would be optical recognition of your hands associated with vr helmets (can''t believe I used the term vr) - you wouldn''t have any input devices, you''d just see them and they''d react to your movements - the nice/bad thing is that just about any program could define it''s own input device - be it a sort of laser pointer to replace the mouse, guns, wheels or whatever for games, etc.

You know, I never wanted to be a programmer...

Alexandre Moura
quote:Original post by Geocyte
I don''t see quantumn computers happening anytime soon since nobody really knows enough about quantumn physics to make one. In theory a quantumn computer would be infinitely fast. Doesn''t sound likely in practice.

Quantum computers have been made... one was speed tested by setting it to crack a 512kbit encryption algorithm... it did so in iirc approximately 12 milliseconds.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement