How was GTA3 made in such a short time?

Started by
10 comments, last by Promit 9 years, 9 months ago

Just played through it again. Now there are a lot of assets, three sections of a city and pretty detailed, although low texture and polygon quality.

So....they licensed the Renderware engine and apparently modified it pretty heavily. That was about in 1999 and the game was released in 2002. As far as I can see they had a team of about 15-20 people overall, they used to be DMA design and were bought over by Rockstar. It seems a mammoth task though creating all the assets/gameplay/levels/coding/scripting in such a small time. What was their secret?

Advertisement

they had massive, massive whips

Take it as a lesson in what a competent, high quality, focused team can do with a clear vision and minimal executive meddling.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I haven't played the game in forever, but I'm guessing they heavily re-used assets, that and it's PS2, so low textures, low poly models, etc. That kind of artist count in that era wasn't all that uncommon.

Wait. Three years is a short time to develop a game?

Wat.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

For some perspective, most console games I've worked on have had a budget for about 8-12 months of development with a small team... 3-4 years would be wonderful!

they had massive, massive whips
Yeah, you hear all but nice stories from Rockstar. Then again, lots of studios, dunno how it was in GTA 3 era.

I do know it was and it is a damn fine game. It blew minds all around to go from GTA 2 to GTA 3. Props to them for it.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

When a team is considered big? 50+?

I got super impressed when I read that book w/ lots of post mortens (postmortems from gamedeveloper), and the team of the original age of empires was like 25 ppl if I remember correctly..Id expect it to be made by 70+ ¦D

Just played through it again. Now there are a lot of assets, three sections of a city and pretty detailed, although low texture and polygon quality.

So....they licensed the Renderware engine and apparently modified it pretty heavily. That was about in 1999 and the game was released in 2002. As far as I can see they had a team of about 15-20 people overall, they used to be DMA design and were bought over by Rockstar. It seems a mammoth task though creating all the assets/gameplay/levels/coding/scripting in such a small time. What was their secret?

I don't see that much of a challenge. It's all about finding the right workflow, in particularly having good concept artists and skilled mappers / modellers. Actually Rockstar Games stated in an interview, that they have perfected their workflow to such a degree that they could release a new map of the size of GTA V's by every year. Not sure if they count in research though; half of Los Santos' buildings are "inspired" from real buildings in L.A..

Wait. Three years is a short time to develop a game?

A large sandbox game, you mean? Sure, why not.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement