• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How to avoid "stacks of doom" in 4X?

This topic is 1393 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In all 4X space empire games I encountered the same annoying characteristic, the best strategy (at least against AI opponent) was to group all/most of your ships and raid through the galaxy with this monster. How to fix it?

EDIT: I'm not talking about games like Civilization (where there are actual stacks and they fight on the main map) but about moving fleets on the galaxy map like in Master of Orion (where the combat takes place on another tactical map).

I have seen solutions like slow ships and long distances (so you needed to keep fleets in various parts of the map since you were unable to move them quick) and limits to number of ships in a fleet (Endless Space). Both had their serious drawbacks...

Edited by Acharis

Advertisement
The usual solution seems to be area of effect based weapons.

Ineffective against single targets but can be very effective against larger groups.

Try to come up with a similar mechanism maybe.

As in life, overwhelming force is an extremely difficult strategy to counter (unless you're good at guerilla tactics and you've got time on your side).  I'd think about the logistics of moving your entire fleet (I'm assuming 4X = space games to you based on your post) and making sure the player has the resources and supplies needed to keep them flying, fed, and armed to the teeth.

Then, once the other opponents know the big guys are out killing stuff, have them all attack the home base.

The usual solution seems to be area of effect based weapons.

Ineffective against single targets but can be very effective against larger groups.

Try to come up with a similar mechanism maybe.

No, no, I meant a map of the galaxy. Like Master of Orion, Endless Space, etc. Moving fleets between planets, not combat (which takes place when 2 fleets meet and it opens a separate tractical map or something similar).

I guess I should edit my first post to make it less confusing smile.png

Edited by Acharis

As in life, overwhelming force is an extremely difficult strategy to counter (unless you're good at guerilla tactics and you've got time on your side).  I'd think about the logistics of moving your entire fleet (I'm assuming 4X = space games to you based on your post) and making sure the player has the resources and supplies needed to keep them flying, fed, and armed to the teeth.

Then, once the other opponents know the big guys are out killing stuff, have them all attack the home base.

No, it's not about overwhelming force. It's about making the player to attack 3 enemy fleets/planets at once instead of just 1. To make it not desirable to make just one big fleet that go around and fights. To promote making severl smaller fleets (in short a player that make one big fleet and fly around winning all fights due to numbers should lose (on strategic level) with another player that made 3 much weaker fleets and target separate planets).

Beyond what GoCatGo said, there's also the march of progress to consider. If you attack only one planet at a time, your enemies on all the other planets have a chance to march up their tech trees and be much tougher when you reach them. Therefore making it an advantage to attack as many planets as you can safely.

EDIT: I'm not talking about games like Civilization (where there are actual stacks and they fight on the main map) but about moving fleets on the galaxy map like in Master of Orion (where the combat takes place on another tactical map).

I've not played those games so my previous comment may be unhelpful, uninformed, and useless.  That has never stopped me before, so I'll continue by adding:

Have them eaten by Warp monsters a la 40K!  "We started out strong, but most of our fleet never arrived."

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!