• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Twisttid

Unity C++ in Unity

This topic is 1553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Note: Don't go out an find anything for me, that's my job...only if you know a good place for me to look, answer this question.

Can somebody please direct me in how to learn C++ Coding in Unity? I have had no experience in C++ Coding what so ever. I just want to know how I can use the language within the capabilities of the engine (if the makes sense).

Advertisement
You need to get the Pro version in order to do that (just as LoD and other stuff).
I think Unity3D also only allows native C++ via plugins.

I am not really sure about what I said, haven't used Unity after the "download and tinker with it" phase, Someone please correct me if I am wrong. Edited by dejaime

You can also pay big bucks and get source of Unity(runtime mostly c++,editor c#) and then you can do what ever you want.

You need to get the Pro version in order to do that (just as LoD and other stuff).
I think Unity3D also only allows native C++ via plugins.

I am not really sure about what I said, haven't used Unity after the "download and tinker with it" phase, Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

That's basically correct from my understanding of it. Though you could also probably use C++/CLI to write .Net DLLs for the game as well... but you should only try that if you're a masochist. smile.png

Dejaime is correct. You can only make plugins with C++ which you can access in your scripts that you need to write in any of the supported languages unity offers. Native plugins are not really used to do any gameplay related stuff as you can only do so much with them, they're mostly used to optimise certain processes.

You indeed also need the pro version to make these native plugins.

All in all, if you want to do this to program the gameplay, stick to the scripts. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!