Air Control: Parody Game or Just Bad?

Started by
10 comments, last by Luckless 9 years ago

Hello,

I have been wondering this for some time now. I can decide whether Air Control (http://store.steampowered.com/app/295810/) is a parody game or not. If you don't know the game, I strongly recommend watching a video on youtube about it. The main premise of the game is that is it a flight simulator.

However, the game is terrible in so many ways, its hard to pick the worse parts of the game, but an example would be the menu's don't disappear in game, and the curser isn't locked to the middle instead the developer has buttons on the screen (whilst you are playering) to centre the cursor to the middle.

The reason I think it may be a parody is that I have seen all of these terrible features in other fully released games, and it seems the developer has compiled them all into one game. Another thought that it may be a publisher that made a game using the worse bits from all the games that come across his desk. However, it doesn't claim to be a parody game, and has received A LOT of flak for being so bad. This could just be some un-experienced person that got lucky with a publisher and BAM its on steam.

I'm still undecided, what do you think?

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

Advertisement

I'm seeing a lot of stock and reused graphics, so I'm guessing that the game was hacked together as quickly as possible with as little effort as they could, and no real polish was put in place. Kind of looks like someone got bored for a few weeks in the summer, threw together a bunch of code ripped straight out of tutorials, and used as much free/cheap/(stolen?) art as they could with as little/no modification to prove that they could program something, and then tossed it up for sale.

I would rather spend that money at Starbucks, and I hate Starbucks coffee.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This review sums it up pretty good ....

[media]http:

[/media]

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

There's simply no way game that buggy and unfinished can be considered even as a parody. If it was playable like every other normal game (even many early access games), then maaaaybee... but with the game in this state there's no way.

Heck, even my game in its current state is more playable than that and I for sure don't value my game any more than 2€.

I'm seeing a lot of stock and reused graphics, so I'm guessing that the game was hacked together as quickly as possible with as little effort as they could, and no real polish was put in place. Kind of looks like someone got bored for a few weeks in the summer, threw together a bunch of code ripped straight out of tutorials, and used as much free/cheap/(stolen?) art as they could with as little/no modification to prove that they could program something, and then tossed it up for sale.

I would rather spend that money at Starbucks, and I hate Starbucks coffee.

Yes, originally it had lots of stolen assets (apparently it still does) it got taken down off steam, now it is back up as the copyright claims have seized.

There's simply no way game that buggy and unfinished can be considered even as a parody. If it was playable like every other normal game (even many early access games), then maaaaybee... but with the game in this state there's no way.

Heck, even my game in its current state is more playable than that and I for sure don't value my game any more than 2€.

We have been seeing a trend in 'pewdie-bait' games (that is a game that pewdiepie (youtuber) will scream at and get 10m views in a week (no joke)). Games like goat simulator are inherently broken for the publicity*. maybe this game is trying to be the kind of all pewdie-baits.

* Goat simulator was built under limited founds, and steam page makes this clear, even saying 'buy some bricks for $10 you will have more fun' and "don't buy this game", even that is more of a marketing/publicity stunt, I forgive that game.

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

phil67rpg was finally able to “make” something?

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

If I had to guess, I'd say it was the product of a game jam that was just complete enough that its maker thought there was money to be made.

That game is bad, and they should feel bad.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

As someone on Steams forum said: Quality Control. Do you know what does it mean?

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Not sure if it's coincedence, but today there was a press release on a game with pewdiepie:

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/102467/youtube-ster-pewdiepie-speelt-hoofdrol-in-eigen-game.html

(it's in Dutch, so you might have to google translate it)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement