• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mSkull

assign Operator Issues

This topic is 1496 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

Working to implement AngelScript into my game project, but I'm having issues with the assign operator - using it results in a debug assertion error with "Expression: _BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)

I'm trying to use GLM with my scripts, so I've made a VEC2_REF struct to interface between GLM and AngelScript, that holds the required addref and release functions. This is also where I have the operator = overload - basicly it just calls GLM's own operator overload.

struct VEC2_REF : public REF_COUNTER // REF-COUNTER contains addref and release functions
{
	VEC2_REF( vec2 v )
	:	v( v )
	{}

vec2 v;

VEC2_REF &operator=( VEC2_REF &r)
	{
		if( this != &r )
			v = r.v; // Call GLM's operator overload

return *this;
	}
};

This is how I'm registering the object to angelscript

engine->RegisterObjectType( "vec2", sizeof(VEC2_REF), asOBJ_REF );

/* Various behavior functions - not important for this */

/* Various operator overloads being registered... */

engine->RegisterObjectMethod( "vec2", "vec2 @opAssign(vec2&)", asMETHODPR( VEC2_REF, operator=, (VEC2_REF&), VEC2_REF& ), asCALL_THISCALL );

/* Various extra functions... */

// Vec2 properties NB: offset with sizeof(int) to skip over the nRefs variable in REF_COUNTER class
engine->RegisterObjectProperty( "vec2", "float x", sizeof(int) + sizeof(float) * 0 );
engine->RegisterObjectProperty( "vec2", "float y", sizeof(int) + sizeof(float) * 1 );

And this is the script itself

void main()
{
	vec2 a;
	a.x = 2.0f;
	a.y = 5.0f;
	vec2 b( 7, 10 );

log( a );
	log( b );

a = b;

log( a );
}

The weird is that it doesn't actually crash on a = b; However it only the error only occurs IF the assign is there.

Also the last log call will output something weird if the assign operator have been used.

v( 2 5 )
v( 7 10 )
v( -1.59e+038 -1.59e+038 )

I really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, or why this is happening; all other operators are fine. Any help would be highly appreciated.

mSkull

Edited by mSkull

Advertisement

Your VEC2_REF operator= is implemented to return the type by reference without incrementing the refcount, but you've registered this method as returning the type as a handle. Because of this AngelScript will release the returned reference when it is done with it, and this cause the VEC2_REF instance to be destroyed while you still have other pointers referring to it elsewhere. This is why you're getting the 'Expression: _BLOCK_TYPE_IS_VALID(pHead->nBlockUse)' error.

Do you have a specific reason for implementing the vec2 type as a reference type? Unless you have a specific reason to have these instances allocated on the heap with reference counting, it is probably better to register the vec2 class directly as a value type (similar to the complex type in the scriptmath add-on).

Regards,

Andreas

Thank you so much for your help - highly appreciated :D

The reason I'm using reference type is because I misunderstood the manual, and thought I was suppose to be doing that. I'm already working on swapping that around, so thanks for the heads up.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!