Fleets with personality & no micromanagement (4X)

Started by
23 comments, last by GoCatGoGames 9 years, 9 months ago

The emperor allocated them each 100 points from the empires military capacity and commanded them to take the fight to the enemy.

War Master Black built a fleet three high tech war cruisers equipped with energy absorbing hulls, cloaking fields, an array of devastating weapons, and the fastest engine available.
The Yellow Lord of Char built a fleet of 50 refurbished drones, 10 strike craft, and 5 custom built cruisers with the latest weapons payload.
The Blue Eyed Mystic - Built a super carrier filled with fighter and bombers, 4 shield projector ships with gravity nets, and 2 heavy artillery ships able to inflect damage over a vast area.
You know, the longer I look at it, the more I want the ships to be built by *me*. I mean, it sounds cool! I want to decide on these energy absorbing hulls and drones and gravity nets! Why AI should have all the fun!? I want to do it too! :D

What I don't want is all this boring logistics, like a ship is built on planet X, then I move it to fleet A, then I look through fleet A to find outdated ships for refit, then send them to the nearest shipyard then look through the shipyard for the previously refit ships and try to remember where they were originally and where I was supposed to send them... The AI can have all if it, all :D

But deciding on gravity nets, mutiphasing shields and fighters distribution, no way! I'm not giving it to some "AI doctrine", it is *me* who should do these fun & cool & cute things :)

The AI can take all the boring things, the fun ones I want to do myself.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

If your favourite part is the builder playing around with all the different cools system and features like lego to make an awesome ship then why not focus on that? I'm going throw out a wild idea here instead of fleets with personalities what about ships with personalties?

Forget grand sweeping intergalactic strategy with massive fleets fighting for control of hundreds of worlds. Instead think small. Maybe a dozen planets across 4 star systems.

Give the player 100 points to spend on building their empires fleet. Give them lost of little choices and cools options to customize each ship with let them spend all 100 on a single ship or 10 small ships its up to them.

Maybe they design a ship with 1 giant space gun and a bunch of drone bays. Then give them the ability to design or choose what kind of drones are in each bay. This one has repair drones, this one has drones that explode on impact, this one cloaked drones with lasers.

Develop a new tech or just want to redesign a ship no problem simple dock it in the shipyard and change what you want the you just have to wait for the refit to be completed.

Now that I think about it what I'm describing sounds a lot like a 4x version of the old games workshop table top games like Necromunda, Warhammer, or Warhammer 40k

If your favourite part is the builder playing around with all the different cools system and features like lego to make an awesome ship then why not focus on that? I'm going throw out a wild idea here instead of fleets with personalities what about ships with personalties?
No, fleets are definitely much more my thing :) I don't want it small, I want it grand & epic.

What I meant is, how I'm supposed to build a grand fleet if I have no saying if my fleet will be using shields!? Actually, I feel designing ships fits grand scale much more than small scale (in the small scale you are just given a few ships and use them tactically, while in the grand scale you need to design your whole military).

Plus, if I know the enemy on the north uses weapons that are weak against shields while those on the south uses weapons that are strong against shields then the decision if shields should be installed is definitely a strategic level decision. I need to decide on these things myself, otherwise I would be unable to run my empire...

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Maybe there is some way to allow the player a decision what kind of "ships" or "technologies" there are in a fleet without simulating every single ship and this whole "ship designer" part? All I need is some way to track casualities, technological progress, quantity progress and special equipment (like shields/no shields).

Games like Civ V do this, eh? I mean, you don't build individual archers, you build a squad of archers (ranged attack, weak against melee) that have offense/defense abilities that decrease as individual archers are beaten to death. Can't your fleet be something similar with an overall offense/defense, sight range, and speed based on its composition?

You're going to tell me that I need to play a real 4X space game, aren't you? sad.png

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement