Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VBlimits

Speed its all about speed!!

VBlimits    122
i would like to know how you make D3D8 run fast when useing the REF Driver?? hope some one out there knows becouse i shoure the hell dont 10.5FPS with 40 Polys on the screen Thanks -VBLimits Sorry about the Spelling..

Draigan    130
10.5 fps! Wow, that''s as fast as I''ve ever seen the Reference Rasterizer run. The sad truth is that, well...., that''s as fast as she goes so to speak. It was written to do everything in DirectX but it doesn''t worry about speed in the least.

S1CA    1418
REF isn''t intended to be a replacement for the old software rasteriser. It''s only meant as a development tool (it''s only present in the SDK - not the final version of DX). It''s purpose is for testing your application with features which your hardware doesn''t support. And also for verifying whether a problem is your fault or down to a bad hardware implementation.

It''s main priority is *accuracy* and adherance to the D3D spec. NOT performance. I''ve seen the source code to it - it definately isn''t optimal.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Sly    128
Direct3D8 is not supplied with an end-user software rasterizer. It only comes with HAL rasterizers (hardware accelerated). The reference rasterizer, as mentioned many times in the docs, is NOT intended for the end-user. To get software rendering, you must write your own software rasterizer plug-in. To write these, you will require the DirectX Driver Development Kit (DDK).

Steve 'Sly' Williams   Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios

Edited by - sly on November 9, 2001 2:40:19 AM

Dean Harding    546
You can write your own software rasterizer and plug it into DirectX 8. This is better than the old way of using the ramp or RGB emulator, because you can optimize it for your own specific needs. You''ll need the DirectX DDK to be able to write the rasterizer, but once it''s written, you can incorperate it using the normal SDK...

codeka.com - Just click it.

VBlimits    122
that what i thout, ( but i dident know you needed the DXDDK )
anyone know where i can find a good article on that??

-Ian

-VBLimits
Sorry about the Spelling..

S1CA    1418
The current DDK is only available under special agreement from Microsoft. Previous versions are available, but not suitable for writing pluggable software devices.

If you''re making a game with a software option, then you wouldn''t be using any of the new DX8 specific features anyway - since they are mostly intended for hardware acceleration. There is no acceptable way to emulate features such as pixel shaders. Even emulating certain types of texture filtering is a no-no if you want more than 1FPS.

If you do need software rasterisation, then you''ll be using a small subset of D3D features. The small subset which you can emulate at a half reasonable speed are still exposed in the DirectX 7 RGB Software device. If you want simple software rasterisation at a playable frame rate, use DX7 interfaces!!.

Alternatively look for or purchase a 3rd party software engine.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

dansteph    122
quote:
Original post by VBlimits
Is if the end user dosent have Hardware, what do you do??
lol??

Same as if he want to go somewhere and doesn''t have a car...
he just don''t go...

Daniel

VBlimits    122
i dont like microshit
lol
oo well looks to me like if they dont have HAL, then they dont play
lmao
good enuf for me

thanks for the input guys

-VBLimits

VBlimits    122
i dont like microshit
lol
oo well looks to me like if they dont have HAL, then they dont play
lmao
good enuf for me

thanks for the input guys

-VBLimits

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Funny how you dislike Microsoft so much but yet strive to find an answer to make REF go faster using their API when you could be using OpenGL.

VBLimits <-- VB user? Learn a real language. Don''t see why you''re downing Microsoft when clearly you are using their products/technology when there are plenty of alternatives out there.

Grow up.

VBlimits    122
i think it is you that needs to grow up, you dont even give a name there for thats saying your to much of a pussy to stand up for your self, i dont like some of what microshit is doing i dident say i dont like them at all, and about VB it is a real language, i alsow now ASM, C, C++, and a shit load of web crape so if your going to tell me to grow up when it should really be you, i dont think soo!!!

-VBLimits

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
(note to ppl, i am not the AP above)
(ranting is so much fun when the object is ignorent)

if you know all that, (web site stuff aside since it dont do anything for programming games) then why are you using vb? You sound like such a knowledgable person you would have RTFM! you are obviously a newbie who thinks reading some tutorials for a langauge makes you know the language.

why the heck do you amke fun of microsoft''s name? (i know the answer to that one, its because you think its the "in" thing to do)

What person does not have 3d acceration on their pc? Unless they are using an old 200 mmx machine. possible. ALL desktop pcs now come standard with 3d accelarators (granted they are not the best ones). Many laptops are using 3d accelarated video cards as well. In fact ppl who do not have 3d accelerators are problally not into pc gaming, otherwise they would have upgraded (cards can be had as cheap as $40).

And for you childish crack at the previous AP for not giving a name. Your name is quite unique. In fact i never heard of a child being named VBlimits. So please dont think that you using some nick that is purly a creation of yoru imagination any better then someone posting anonymously. Most APs on the board dont register because they are lazy and dont frequent the board enough (well at least dont need questions answered) to warrent registration.

btw i concur, you do need to grow up. Since hiding behind a veil of handles and nicks is the same as using the AP fetaure of the board. Please post a link to your website since your grand knowldege of "web crape" should showcase a vast selection of "ASM, C, C++" programs you have written, since you know the langagues quite well.

since you know asm, you woudl not mind answer the following question (no cheating now).

Explain what this code does and the values of eax and abx after this is run.

mov eax, 0x00125446
mov ebx, 0x8FA25F4E
xor ax, bx
xor bx, ax
xor ax, bx

tricky tricky, please dont help him, it is VBLimits problem.

- groof

Dean Harding    546
Not to be choosing sides here, but the difference between being anonymous and choosing a nick that has nothing to do with your real name is quite large. Because if you click on the "Profile" button next to VBLimit''s name, you can see it''s got his real name, email address and links to all the other posts he''s made. You don''t get that as anonymous.

Anyway, that''s all from me. I don''t want to get into a debate about the evils (or not) of Microsoft, there''s never any point. I''ve never been able to convince anyone of my own point of view, so I don''t even try anymore.

codeka.com - Just click it.

NotTaxes    122
Groof, I haven''t laughed so hard in a long time.

It''s like I always say. Use the right tool for the job, and if you can''t do that, then at least use the tool you know the best and live with the consequences.

I love DX development in Visual Basic. I know I''m not going to make the next Quake or Starcraft but I can almost certainly squeeze a playable Arkanoid or Sonic out of it. I just love using VB ''coz it''s what I know the best and it allows me to mess around really fast. I know enough C++ to probably do the same thing, but not enough to do it half as fast or with half as much certainty.

And yeah, after Quake3 I reckon just about everyone in the universe bought a 3d accelerator, if they didn''t already have one so... goodbye and goodriddance to the software renderer.

VBlimits    122
eax = 150613838
ebx = 1201222

my webpage is not working right now i need to rewrite the new scripte theres a nasty bug in it if the array gets to larg it dose some fucked up shit and some how removes its self

i do know VB better then C++, and ASM, but i am no newibe i av been programing for over 8 years, but not to much to show forit becouse i just reinstalled ( yea yea how conivent but its ture )

and this is way off topic

-VBLimits

Edited by - VBLimits on November 14, 2001 5:47:10 AM

dansteph    122
quote:

if the array gets to larg it dose some fucked up shit and some how removes its self

Fucked up shit ? is this a new instruction ? which language is that ?

quote:

been programing for over 8 years, but not to much to show forit becouse i just reinstalled ( yea yea how conivent but its ture )

8 years on VB ???? impressive.

quote:
and this is way off topic

Perhaps you must try to learn some forum''s rules for 8 years also
than come to post back when you''ll be ready.

Dan

cheez_keeper    134
Lol, this thread really HAS gone astray! That ASM is just a simple switching routine (altho I would have just used xch and only mov ax instead of eax). What I find most interesting is that VBlimits didn''t even bother to make up an answer that FITS in the ax register!!! OK, I got my people bashing in for the day. My solution to the "I can''t get crap for framerates using the REF" problem is easy - DON''T USE THINGS THAT REQIRE A REF DRIVER ON YOUR COMPUTER. If it requires a REF on YOUR computer just think of the millions of us out there with worse computers than yours...

Brett Lynnes
cheez_keeper@hotmail.com

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
heh, yes it was a simple switching algo. xchg may have been more useful, but would not prove anything since the numonic gives away what it does. Also i specially moved data into all of eax and ebx on purpose so even if he recognized it was a swapping algo, some thought would still be required since the code only swaps the lower 16bits instead of the entire register.

kudos to Mythomania for the correct answer. VBLimits you need to get back to your asm, you seem rusty btw VBLimits i was not asking for hex to decimal conversion which you seemed to partial do (well one of the conversions is correct if the code only ran the first to instructions).

As for registered vs AP, i truly did not know so much was kept track of (posting wise) but still ppl can use false names on such things as well.
I may look into actually registering.

- groof

VBlimits    122
no i started on QB then VB, Then C, C++/ASM ( kinda at the same time ) and the resone i neglected the the fact that of the eax to ax is becouse i was doing that at 5 am and i likly dident even see it lol or dident regostor the fact that you should only do the math to the lower word, but just so you know AP that is my real name,
and the array dosent "remove" its self just fucks up the indexs, when trying to acces it, its just a math error,

hey seeing on how i have some meany people reading this thride
how meany of you would like to see a good resores file article ( i use spell check when i right stuff lol )??
if you could give me coments or sujeshens about it plz

Edited by - VBLimits on November 15, 2001 1:00:21 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Hmm,

is it just me is or his english deteriorating.

Don''t canadians speak english? or are they just weird?

either way. this is a funny thread, mainly cause I doubt that any web development company would hire someone with such crap ability to spell.

Maybe that''s how they spell stuff in canada.

cheez_keeper    134
dat wood maek cents, i liv in montana an i are considered a best spellr ''ere. if we ar dis good den i cin reasone whi dem canaders spell so wonderrfel 2. it be wierd, butt i aint got me no job niether...

Brett Lynnes
cheez_keeper@hotmail.com