Speed its all about speed!!

Started by
29 comments, last by VBlimits 22 years, 5 months ago
i would like to know how you make D3D8 run fast when useing the REF Driver?? hope some one out there knows becouse i shoure the hell dont 10.5FPS with 40 Polys on the screen Thanks -VBLimits Sorry about the Spelling..
-VBLimitsSorry about the Spelling..
Advertisement
10.5 fps! Wow, that''s as fast as I''ve ever seen the Reference Rasterizer run. The sad truth is that, well...., that''s as fast as she goes so to speak. It was written to do everything in DirectX but it doesn''t worry about speed in the least.
REF isn''t intended to be a replacement for the old software rasteriser. It''s only meant as a development tool (it''s only present in the SDK - not the final version of DX). It''s purpose is for testing your application with features which your hardware doesn''t support. And also for verifying whether a problem is your fault or down to a bad hardware implementation.

It''s main priority is *accuracy* and adherance to the D3D spec. NOT performance. I''ve seen the source code to it - it definately isn''t optimal.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Is if the end user dosent have Hardware, what do you do??
lol??

-VBLimits
Sorry about the Spelling..
Direct3D8 is not supplied with an end-user software rasterizer. It only comes with HAL rasterizers (hardware accelerated). The reference rasterizer, as mentioned many times in the docs, is NOT intended for the end-user. To get software rendering, you must write your own software rasterizer plug-in. To write these, you will require the DirectX Driver Development Kit (DDK).

Steve 'Sly' Williams   Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios

Edited by - sly on November 9, 2001 2:40:19 AM
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
You can write your own software rasterizer and plug it into DirectX 8. This is better than the old way of using the ramp or RGB emulator, because you can optimize it for your own specific needs. You''ll need the DirectX DDK to be able to write the rasterizer, but once it''s written, you can incorperate it using the normal SDK...

codeka.com - Just click it.
Dang, I was too slow

codeka.com - Just click it.
that what i thout, ( but i dident know you needed the DXDDK )
anyone know where i can find a good article on that??

-Ian

-VBLimits
Sorry about the Spelling..
The current DDK is only available under special agreement from Microsoft. Previous versions are available, but not suitable for writing pluggable software devices.

If you''re making a game with a software option, then you wouldn''t be using any of the new DX8 specific features anyway - since they are mostly intended for hardware acceleration. There is no acceptable way to emulate features such as pixel shaders. Even emulating certain types of texture filtering is a no-no if you want more than 1FPS.

If you do need software rasterisation, then you''ll be using a small subset of D3D features. The small subset which you can emulate at a half reasonable speed are still exposed in the DirectX 7 RGB Software device. If you want simple software rasterisation at a playable frame rate, use DX7 interfaces!!.

Alternatively look for or purchase a 3rd party software engine.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

quote:Original post by VBlimits
Is if the end user dosent have Hardware, what do you do??
lol??

Same as if he want to go somewhere and doesn''t have a car...
he just don''t go...

Daniel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement