moba - Where to Start (Feedback Appreciated)

Started by
7 comments, last by superman3275 9 years, 9 months ago

This should probably go in the Game Ideas forum, but it's completely theoretical, and I don't have anything to show, so

I want to make a moba type game. To start, I'm thinking I'll need three player-controllable characters, each filling one of the generic roles

(Tank, Support, Striker). I have extremely rudimentary knowledge of Python, and don't really know where to start. I know I'm supposed to learn

Object Oriented Programming, but I don't anything about it beyond that OOD includes objects tongue.png.

As far as goals go for the game,

Characters:

Tank

*Large character that protects allies from powerful attacks

*High HP

*Large Model

*Meat Shield

*Melee attacks that deal decent damage

Support

*More passive

*Buffs Allies

*Moderately damaging projectiles with homing qualities that heal allies

*Squishy( Low HP)

*Reliant on teammates

Striker

*Offensive character with high damage output by low defensive capabilities

*Spammable damage spells

Stage

*Small arena with four walls and possible obstacles

What I need to learn:

-Python

-Model Rendering

-Setting perspective

-Online/Multiplayer Aspects

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks, rabbit

Beginner. Whatever I said above could be completely wrong.

Advertisement

If you're brand new to programming, and Python, I would recommend taking a step back and starting simple. Before you get into OOP you can start with procedural programming since Python supports it. In fact, simple games can be written completely procedural.

I'd also recommend starting with a much more basic game if you aren't going to use an existing 3D engine like Panda 3D. You can start with a 2D tile-based game like tic-tac-toe or battleship using the Pygame 2D library. You will learn programming without having to bother with collision detection, movement, or sprites.

You will also want to invest some time in a version control system. I like using git with the free GitHub online repository.

Hope this helps and remember to have fun.

tp9,

Thanks for responding. I think starting on something simpler would be a good idea. I've been trying to follow the tutorial to download Python and Pygame on my computer here-

http://inventwithpython.com/pygame/chapter1.html , but when I get to the page all the files are have "tar ball" on the end. What should I download?

-rabbit

What OS are you using?

If you're on Windows (I'll assume for now you are), you want this for Python: https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.4.1/python-3.4.1.msi

And this, for Pygame: http://pygame.org/ftp/pygame-1.9.2a0.win32-py3.2.msi

I haven't used Python (or Pygame) myself, but I'm assuming that Pygame for Python 3.2 will work with Python 3.4. If not, you'll eed to download a slightly older version of Python.

I must say though, that the tutorial you are following there gives very explicit instructions on how to obtain these files (it's what I used just now). If you're having trouble already, I urge you to read more carefully, as you will continue to have difficulty otherwise. Likewise, if you're using Mac or Unix, the instructions were just as explicit.

I would start by some really simple code, I like Tic Tac Toe for that. Then create the two players networked example, start by sending strings, as python can get quite complicated with binary data.

As people said, pygame is a great 2D python game library, so it is recomended. I have used during college to a small battleship game, the drawing can be a little tricky at first. There is a very good ebook (which is free), which covers pretty much all you need to know, from newbie to create basic games. You can find it here: http://inventwithpython.com/pygame/chapters/

As for 3D, I have used Panda3D quite a lot before (including in my graduation project), it does have some very nice stuff, I think the physics using bullet is its best feature.
It is far from perfect though... The main problem I had with panda was importing models to it, that was VERY annoying (it uses a model format called egg, that I guess only maya supports, to use with blender you have to export your model to .x, then pray the x to egg converter works). Also, the built-in IA is quite bad, unfortunately. To learn it, the manual is quite good and the forum is very very active, so stick to the form and you can learn quite a lot.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

You can't install Pygame 3.2 for Python 3.4. The link for the 3.4 files is a little hidden but on that download page there is a link to this page.

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pygame

Download the correct version for you Python version (either 32 bit or 64 bit). The nice thing about Python 3.4 for windows is it comes with the PIP installer for the first time. Windows Python users can rejoice.

BTW, it's nice to see another Python game developer here. Not enough of us IMO. Sadly I'm switching over to Java but Python will always be my first love.

What I need to learn:

-Python

-Model Rendering

-Setting perspective

You might want to add the networking/multiplayer components in there! All you gots is BA in your list. No MO!

There is nothing saying that it needs to be 3D. If you've got the motivation, try some basic ideas (with no multiplayer) in Pygame. I'd think it would be a great way to get your feet wet and a way to build a code library to reuse later.

Indie games are what indie movies were in the early 90s -- half-baked, poorly executed wastes of time that will quickly fall out of fashion. Now go make Minecraft with wizards and watch the dozen or so remakes of Reservior Dogs.

Thanks for responding, everyone. I got Python and Pygame downloaded today, and I'm working through the ebook ebook recommended by KnolanCross. I'll try to be more careful reading in the future, as well.

@GoCatGo - Yeah, I totally forgot to add multiplayer/ online aspects to that list. However, I do want the final product to be in 3d, as I want the perspective of the the player to be behind and a bit above their character, since that would allow me to do some interesting stuff with the maps, like roofed areas and different elevations.

You should start a lot simpler. I've been programming with Pygame for two years, you can PM me if you have any questions.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement