Game Engine that will meet my requirements

Started by
23 comments, last by SimonForsman 9 years, 9 months ago

flash is a great tool(and was the language i personally first started out in), but it's also a massive potential pitfall because of the fact that you can draw/put stuff right on the screen, this means it's very very easy to do things in an inefficient manner, and give yourself major headaches down the road when you rely on things being placed in the world, instead of spawned via code.

Sure, it's not hard to get something on the screen, but I've never actually seen a commercial game written in Flash. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't thing you guys would disagree with this, so don't really have any "sources". I more or less meant to hint at the fact that most companies are hiring people with experience in web-centered games, using javascript, c#, html etc. It's just something I found as a new graduate In the futile process of looking for a CS job (poor me lol). I kind of wish I didn't specialize in C++/graphics from the get-go and went into html and javascript instead, as now I have to learn it and it's booring as fudge after learning a very low level language. Just my h.o feel free to disagree.

What? Where are you looking for a job? The amount of browser-games are relatively small compared to mobile games or PC/console games.

Advertisement

flash is a great tool(and was the language i personally first started out in), but it's also a massive potential pitfall because of the fact that you can draw/put stuff right on the screen, this means it's very very easy to do things in an inefficient manner, and give yourself major headaches down the road when you rely on things being placed in the world, instead of spawned via code.

Sure, it's not hard to get something on the screen, but I've never actually seen a commercial game written in Flash. Correct me if I'm wrong.

with adobe Air, you're more common to find flash games on the mobile markets, then on the desktop. i'm sure their have been a few over the years, as it's not a bad environment for 2D games, but i can't give you any names off hand.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

The amount of browser-games are relatively small compared to mobile games or PC/console games.

I have to (sadly) take issue with that - you seem to be forgetting about the endless line of new "casual" mobile games. Maybe consoles help to even the count but for games currently in development, I'd be surprised if mobile wasn't in the lead (again, sadly). But I don't have any inside knowledge, it's just a guess which could be wrong. As far as a job I guess the question is, what type of game development are you interested in?

Also - Adobe AIR is great-- although I'm not interested in the type of games typically on that platform.

The amount of browser-games are relatively small compared to mobile games or PC/console games.

I have to (sadly) take issue with that - you seem to be forgetting about the endless line of new "casual" mobile games. Maybe consoles help to even the count but for games currently in development, I'd be surprised if mobile wasn't in the lead (again, sadly).

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying.

I'm trying to say that browser-based games take up a pretty small percentage of PC-games. (Again, if I see sources disproving what I'm saying I will gladly retract this statement.

As far as a job I guess the question is, what type of game development are you interested in?

Is that directed toward me, or was that an unfinished sentence?

Didn't thing you guys would disagree with this, so don't really have any "sources". I more or less meant to hint at the fact that most companies are hiring people with experience in web-centered games, using javascript, c#, html etc. It's just something I found as a new graduate In the futile process of looking for a CS job (poor me lol). I kind of wish I didn't specialize in C++/graphics from the get-go and went into html and javascript instead, as now I have to learn it and it's booring as fudge after learning a very low level language. Just my h.o feel free to disagree.

What? Where are you looking for a job? The amount of browser-games are relatively small compared to mobile games or PC/console games.

There are thousands of commercial flash/air games on kongregate (most use micro transactions there) and there is a handful on steam and gog for purchase aswell.

As for the companies hiring programmers with C# experience, thats most likely for tools or mobile games (Unity3D has gained insane amounts of marketshare on mobile and the mobile market is almost insane), Even AAA games have partially moved over to higher level languages like C#, Python, Lua etc for things like tools, gameplay and general scripting, outside the games industry its pretty much all about C#, Java, Objective-C, Python, Javascript and unfortunatly also PHP, finding a entry level C++ job outside the games industry is getting increasingly difficult.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement