• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Valoo

client side prediction - glitches

3 posts in this topic

Edit: i found that the problem was the ground-state not correctly setting when re-simulating from a server sent state.

As i dont know how to delete this thread, i have another question:

what do i do when the packet containing the jump-action gets lost (snapping back could mean walking off a cliff)?

Hi,

i recently tried to create a client side predicted multiplayer sample (with unity/Lidgren, simulated 200ms latency).

So far it works ok.

But at some points (kind of randomly) it seems to miss a 'jump'-action, gets corrected, thus glitching the token over half the jump.

i currently do it like so:

client and server start counting up their tick-counter when started.

30times a second client gets its input, sends it to the server (including the tick), applies it on itself and puts it in a list.

on the server i shift the tick according to the incoming number ( if difference > big amount: localtick = incoming tick, else tick++/--)

and move the server entity with the attached input

every 0.1 second i send the state back to the client with the servers (adjusted) tick

the client then resimulates from that tick with the inputs from its past-inputs-list.

from debug.logs i often see (on the server's side):

-intended tick: 259, current: 260

-intended tick 260, current: 259 (<-because i adjusted it before)

i guess that's where the problem lies. (the jump action is only 1 tick long). Though i'm not sure, and also not, how to handle this.

(I still consider myself a newbie)

here's a video which i hope shows what i mean (towards the end):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P84wJO3su6g

Edited by Valoo

You have two options:

1) Either speculate on what the player is doing, and be prepared to temporarily show something that's not true (such as falling off a cliff) and having to correct that.

2) Or wait until you know for sure that you have accurate information, and only display this, which means there will be a delay before you display the movement/action.

Note that even with the speculation, when a player first starts moving (or stops moving,) there's no way you can speculate that they will do that, so you will have to snap/correct that kind of display no matter what.

In general, option 2 has much less technical problems, although many developers and some players really do not like the idea that you have to delay the display of the results of an action.

thanks for your answer, but what i meant was, if the packet gets lost on its way to the server, and the server then skips the jump-action, the player will on his client snap back to the ground where he left and, because he held forward, walk off a cliff he meant to jump over.

i had the idea: should i just send the jump and anything alike separately from the normal movement packets (and then reliable) ?

Edited by Valoo

if the packet gets lost on its way to the server, and the server then skips the jump-action, the player will on his client snap back to the ground where he left and, because he held forward, walk off a cliff he meant to jump over

Welcome to the Internet!

should i just send the jump and anything alike separately from the normal movement packets (and then reliable) ?

You will get the same kind of problem with any kind of movement. Perhaps the player dodged to the side to avoid a bullet? Perhaps the player moved forward to avoid a falling piano? If you lose the command, you lose the command.

You can make it less likely that the command is lost, by sending a RLE compressed set of command bits for the last X steps in each packet. This will not add a lot of space, because movement commands typically RLE compress very well. Then, if one packet is lost, you have to rewind and re-play physics from that point.

This will of course cause snapping of your player on the screen of all other players, and if another player somehow had you in the cross hairs, they will now be annoyed at the lag causing that snapping.

You can also make it client authoritative -- let the client tell the server where the client is and what it's doing. Similarly, when a client shoots another client, tell the server whether hitting or not. This, of course, ends up opening holes for cheating, so the server needs to be able to re-create any client viewed state ("I at time T0 shot player X at time T1 when my last update from him was at time T2") which ends up being the Source network model. This is still cheat-able, but you now have a slider for how much time tunneling you will allow (which will effectively exclude any player with more lag than that from the game.)